Logo

No start

jackman1944

I bought a 1979 Johnson 25hp serial E5064658.The motor started when I bought it but now the solenoid only clicks when I push the starter button.I have 12 volts going into the solenoid.I have checked and rechecked the wires several times for good connections.I got the motor running a couple of times but when it sets overnight the starter want kick in.Can someone help me out?

It could be the solenoid contacts or cable ends or even a dirty ground at the engine. Pull all the lug connectors and clean good with a wire brush or sand paper. I like to do one thing at a time so you know where the problem was.

I cleaned all wire connection with wire brush,but still have same problem.

my 35 did something similar and it turned out to have a bad spot midway through the positive cable. had my wife hold the key in the start position while I tweaked the cables from the battery forward and it suddenly kicked, I replaced the cable and no problems since.

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0386056
No cutout switch just a neutral start switch. The shifter must be in neutral for the starter to work make sure it is working properly.
Let me ask you a question.The switch on the motor that is suspect is for not having the throttle to high when I go to start the motor.What is happening is when I have the throttle on idle the solenoid try's to kick-in when I push the starter button,but if I turn the throttle up to high the solenoid want try to kick-in.Is this the way the cutout switch should work?If it is bad would it do like I said was happening?PS--The gear is in neutral when I am trying to start.

Shift into forward gear and try and start the motor, allways spin the prop when shifting if the motor is not running. The starter should not work in forward or reverse.[/QUOTWe

Well back to the problem.I put my volt meter on the starter wire and pushed the starter button,there was no reading.So I bought a new starter(didn't work) So I check the same wire on the starter motor again pushed the starter button,same results no volts.New starter,new solenoid,new battery wires still no luck.I have volts at the starter push button I have volts at the solenoid but none at the starter motor unless I jump the post across at the solenoid.When I do that motor starts every time. All areas checked above was 12.7 volts.Any ideas?

Sounds exactly like the problem you would have if you used an automotive solenoid.
You did say you replaced the solenoid....did you go cheap and buy a Ford solenoid?

You may just need to adjust the bolt that pushes on the safety switch, did you pull the gearbox? On the shift lock lever the detent should be in the center notch on the lever in neutral.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-JOHNSO...5HP-/281773565039?hash=item419b03646f&vxp=mtr
I did not pull the gear box.The shift gear in neutral is where the solenoid will click.It will not click if the gear shift is in forward or reverse.For that reason I am thinking the gear box is working.
I have checked the safety switch and it ohms in neutral So I am thinking it is working properly.

On cars,and small engines I have always thought if the starter won't engage when I turn the key or push the start button.I cross the 2 large terminals and if that makes the starter engage the solenoid is bad.Am I right?

You have to use a marine solenoid. What JOHNSON part number did you buy?

To make this a bit clearer, you probably have no ground for the solenoid you bought.

You bought a Johnson solenoid from Advance?

If you have +12v on the yellow/red wire at the solenoid when the key is turned to start, and it still does not "pick",
then you have no ground to the solenoid.

Auto style solenoids get their grounds from the metal mounting tab, true Johnson solenoids get their ground from the second small terminal stud
that is on the side of the solenoid.

All J/E solenoids I have seen are mounted with a rubber shock/vibration pad, and they are insulated from the engine block by that pad.

I am not there, but it sure sounds like the solenoid ground is missing.

No it is the solenoid number.

I will try to explain how the solenoid is wired.The left side of the solenoid is wired to the Battery positive.The negative side of the battery is wired to the bottom of the engine block.the right side of the solenoid is wired to the nut on the bottom side of the starter.The left side of the small terminal is wired to the push button starter button.The other wire from this push bottom is wired to the left side of the large terminal on the solenoid.The last wire on the small right side of solenoid is wired to the cut-out switch.I hope this is understandable.

That last line....."right side of the solenoid is wired to the cut out switch" is wrong.

And that number is a starter part number. How did you buy original J/E solenoid at Advance?

So....you do not have the right solenoid, I think. And, left side, right side, means nothing really since we don't know what terminal is what on the
solenoid you bought. Maybe the terminals are marked.
You got a wiring problem...and I still think ground is missing from the solenoid.

Try this.....temporarily attach a jumper wire from the engine block to the metal bracket on the solenoid. Provide a ground that way.
Remove that wire attached to the cutout switch completely.

That last line....."right side of the solenoid is wired to the cut out switch" is wrong.

And that number is a starter part number. How did you buy original J/E solenoid at Advance?

So....you do not have the right solenoid, I think. And, left side, right side, means nothing really since we don't know what terminal is what on the
solenoid you bought. Maybe the terminals are marked.
You got a wiring problem...and I still think ground is missing from the solenoid.

Try this.....temporarily attach a jumper wire from the engine block to the metal bracket on the solenoid. Provide a ground that way.
Remove that wire attached to the cutout switch completely.

I want to thank everyone for your help.It was a bad new solenoid.I used the advance one and it is working.

Back