Logo

No start on 2002 Mercury 115 EFI 4 stroke

bigwaveydavey

Removed badly corroded battery cables, thinking that's the issue. I was getting a clicking noise coming from behind the intake manifold where the VST is, I assume that's the high pressure pump. Cannot hear anything else. Starter is dead, brand new though. Trim/tilt switch works on motor but not on remote control. Super frustrated. Any insights?

I would be looking at the slave solenoid first, the trim relays get power from the hot side so you know there is some power there. Would check if the yel/red is energized when you crank the key. Also would check connections at power post for corrosion.

I would be looking at the slave solenoid first, the trim relays get power from the hot side so you know there is some power there. Would check if the yel/red is energized when you crank the key. Also would check connections at power post for corrosion.
Slave solenoid? Do you have an idea where that may be located? I am not finding anything online or in the manual. I'm also going to test the stator as well. Heck, is that thing was bad on the starting circuit, that could also be the case. I did a load test on the batteries today, one of them failed and the other was okay. I just grabbed two new 27dc batteries so I'll know they're good at least.

I was confusing yours with a slightly newer model with alternator. Do you have serial #? You should still have a starter relay/solenoid. I believe on the 115 is has threaded female posts for heavier gauge wire, and should have black/brown or black/grey lead. Whichever color is not black should be a bullet connector. Would be under plastic cover on the front.
71H+TYohReL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Can you look at the ECU at the front of the motor and tell us what markings you see on it?

I am going to guess that the power plant was made by Yamaha.

I was confusing yours with a slightly newer model with alternator. Do you have serial #? You should still have a starter relay/solenoid. I believe on the 115 is has threaded female posts for heavier gauge wire, and should have black/brown or black/grey lead. Whichever color is not black should be a bullet connector. Would be under plastic cover on the front.
71H+TYohReL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
2002 Mercury four stroke 115's (and 2002 Yamaha F115's) use an alternator. Just maybe a different type from that which you are thinking.

See if you can find the starter relay. Looks like that shown below.

Use a pair of pliers or a screw driver to jumper from one power terminal to the other. See if the starter motor engergizes.

Back