Logo

No Spark

hal5778

Hello All I have a 1976 Johnson 55hp and my issue is I am not getting any spark. Everything seems to be correct in the wiring. I was told that I could disconnect a black wire in the power pack and then check for spark which I did but still no spark. Perhaps someone could re explain this wire disconnect to me to make sure I did it properly and if so where I am at and where to proceed with this problem.

I don't know anything about disconnecting a black wire, but, have you checked all the interrupt type switches? The man overboard switch and the neutral safety. My 70hp ended up with two neutral safety switches, one in the control box and the other on the starboard side of the motor near the power pack. They are both microswitch type devices.

Did you disconnect the black wire with a yellow tracer ?? If you did and still had no spark it's possible you have a bad power pack.

Well, what happened ??
Hello I did disconnect the black/yellow wire and there was no spark so with no way that I knew of I replaced the power pack and still no spark. I tested the static and it tested okay based on the info I researched but I also found where it is possible for the stator to be bad even though testing as okay. I replaced the stator with a used one I knew was good and now have spark and motor running well. Thanks for all the help.

is there anyway that I can test the old power pack while removed from motor to determine if bad?

Back