Logo

No spark on starboard side 3 cylinders of my 2001 Johnson 200HP Ocean pro

olearypaul23

Recently had my boat submerged in salt water but retrieved it in a few hours. Once retrieved I washed down the whole boat inside and out including the engines ( 8HP 4stroke yamaha as a kicker ). After i removed the plugs and flushed the engine, the 200 Johnson went without any troubles so i then let it idle to get fresh gas around the crank for half hour but then it shut off. Figuring it was just the plugs which i re used from when it was submerged. I got a full new set and installed figured that was my issue but the engine wouldn't go again. After testing for fuel / spark i then realized that only the port side plugs were getting spark , not the starboard side. I switched the harness from the the port side to the starboard side and the they worked so i know it's not the coil packs on the starboard side. I assume its the power pack or magneto ?? How can i test these ? Or could it be something else before i go and buy a power pack / magneto for nothing. Thanks in advance for your help !!

Thanks , a long shot I know but would you happen to have a picture of where it is on the engine ? I tried to add a pic on this post but it says the file is to large

Maybe somebody took it off you motor.----It should be easy to find if it was there.----I know nothing about posting pictures !

Got the engine starting after. The switch mentioned above solved the no spark issue on the starboard side bank.

Engine runs perfect regards of start and idle but will top out at 3200rpm which won’t get my boat to even plane out. Other than that it starts first crank , idles good.

While in neutral I manually moved the carb levers and the engine will then go on up to 4000-5000 or more but I just done it to try , didn’t want to rev my engine high like that in neutral.

Sounds like some kind of sensor limiting full throttle in gear vs neutral.

Things I’ve done:

1. Fresh gas and an external tank that is all working good , hose primer bulb etc.

2. Tried the spark while the engine was at idle and pulled each plug cap. When you pull the cap spark will jump and arc and work good. Didn’t try it in gear yet.

3. I swapped the power pack over with one a local boat shop borrowed me. It was used just one they had in a bunch of spare parts so they couldn’t tell me for sure if it was good or not. But after swapping the used one with mine the engine wouldn’t start at all. So I then swapped back to mine and the engine will work perfect again minus the minute of 3200rpm in gear.

You guys have any other suggesting on something to test or try ?

Back