Logo

no spark Japan Mariner Ser#667AS015210 1978 8hp 8M

wmrayt

I have a Japan made Mariner Ser#667AS015210 1978 8hp 8M two cylinder two stroke.
I have spark on bottom cylinder but not top.
When I switch the wires leading to the coil with the other one I have spark on top and not bottom cylinder. So the coils are both good. Tested with spark indicator and is very very weak on dead cylinder. So getting a little but not much.

I have pulled the flywheel and inspected the points. The cylinder with out spark has a white color to contacts where the good one looks blued.
I have cleaned the point on dead cylinder with match book striker and blew out with air. But did not help.
Is there a way to test the pick up coils on the mag? I see one is listed as a 80w coil and the other called primary(the one hooked to dead cylinder).
Would a bad condenser do this?

The condensers and points are still available but pick up coils are not.

Thank You
Ray Trimble

Correction. Both coils are connected to the secondary coil. I have taken completely apart. Tested the condensers. Both test good. Even switched them. Both points test short when closed and high resistance when open.(maybe oil making some connection?) But both about the same. Tested wires from coil to points both sides test the same. One set of points feeds off of one end of secondary winding and one from the other. Does show continuity between these wires. But nothing to ground on either wire. Not sure how else to test the secondary.
Any one have any ideas?
Do not want to just start throwing parts at this as some are very hard to get such as the secondary.

Back