Logo

No spark cylinder 1

Dub422

Hey Everyone just looking for some guidance for an issue I'm having with my 1980 Evinrude 115. I have been trying to sort out an issue not being able to achieve wide open throttle. At first it was an issue with a speratic WOT it would cut in and out while crossing the lake. Now i can't get more than 2500 RPM. I had a look when I got home and found that I had lost spark on cylinder 1 completely and was losing it on 3 on and off.
Took it to a shop and ge said it was the stator so I got him to put a brand used one on. Went out yesterday after putting new plugs in and am still having the same issue. Pulled the plugs and checked spark. 2,3,4 were light brown in color and 1 was still solves and wet with gas. So again no spark. I don't have a DVA adapter for my meter but the stator resistances are within spec. I put new:

Plugs
Coils
Power pack ( for the issue side starboard)
Stator brand used( resistances within spec)

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
I have a new CDI timer base coming but I'm still at a loss. Thanks again!

I got 115 on all 4 cylinders. I tested with the in line spark testers and I got spark on 2,3,4 but nothing on 1. Is that the spark test you are talking about?

I did switch the coils last night between 1 and 2 and didn't have spark on the first couple turns but then it started to spark. So I think I have a component going bad upstream of my power packs. The timer base is being delivered tomorrow. I'm gonna try and locate a DVA adapter for my meter. Dies anybody recommend one? I have a fluke and a klein clamp meter.

So it seams that it keeps switching. Now I don't have spark on cylinder 2 and 3. I had spark on all cylinders this morning and took dad and my son fishing and it was running well then as soon as I tried to get on plane it was gaining speed then I felt like it lost power.( being cylinder 2 and 3 turns out) what do you guys suggest? I feel like it's my timer base. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

So I took the fly wheel off last night and found that one of the wires has been damaged on the timer base harness. It was underneath the voltage regulator box. I would assume that was contributing to the issue at hand. I also moved my power packs to test for spark and looks like the 2/3 are toast. They were brand new so that's lame. I replaced one and ordered another and will put it on when it arrives.

Back