Logo

No power to starter

Jerry Seagle

1995 4 stroke 50 HP mercury. Battery is Charged seems like no power to ignition Electric choke does not operate. Very hard to pull with rope??? Could it have anything to do with kill switch? and how will I check this?

I checked the fuse and jumped from battery to starter it turned over fine. Could it be something with the ignition or kill switch and how would I check.

Kill switch does not affect the cranking of the motor.--------If fuse is fine and choke does not operate and it will not crank , than I would have a look at / test the ignition switch.----Might be just as simple as a loose wire.

Motor does not even try to start starter does not click or anything. Like the ignition wires are not even hooked up. Checked wires all look good.
Was running when put in boathouse thanksgiving now will not turn over at all.

Power comes from the motor ( via a fuse ) to the control box.---Then it goes back to the motor for choke solenoid and the starter solenoid.------You say the starter will crank fine if it is boosted via cables.---------------I think you might want to visit a shop as this will not be that expensive to sort out the control box and wiring.

Back