Logo

No pin on top of driveshaft (6hp 1977)

coteno

Hello,

Worked on the water pump of my Johson 6hp 1977.
Removing the lower unit I notice that the pin on top of the driveshaft was missing.
Can I bypass this small part?
Make one with a nail (cutting the nail head)?
Order a new one?

Tank you for your help

Normand
Québec

Last edited:
It is just a drive pin for the mechanical seal.-----Hopefully those seal parts are there and not missing / broken.------I would be removing the powerhead to inspect that seal.----Simple job in my opinion.-----A stainless roll pin from the hardware store does the trick.----You need to inspect and repair this properly.

I ordered a new roll pin and the service manual for my new Johnson 6hp 1977.
I am new in mecanic and try to understand.
If the roll pin is in place, it will spin with the driveshaft, How come the pin do not tear or scrach other parts of the mechanical seal?
i see no grease or oil that could lubrifiate those parts.

Good news I think!
With a flashlight this morning I have been able to see the slot for the pin, the botton cup sitting the spring and to operate the spring.
Taking off the power head is over my mecanic capacity for now (undo the carb, the starter and plus...)
On receiving the new roll pin I will put it in place (adding grease on it) and reload the lower unit.
By slowly turning the flyweel I will be able to feel and ear if everything look and sound normal.

Normand
Québec

A bit late but I receive the roll pin for the upper driveshaft of the 1977 6hp.
Change the impeller and drove the little roll pin across the driveshaft.
Hard time to align everything and place back the lower unit but I succeeded.
Will see in the spring if it is a success on the water.
Normand

Right, the little pin lines up with the slot. The slot is in the housing and doesn't turn. So when dropping the lower unit and driveshaft, simply turn the motor, or shaft, (it will be in gear).....until the pin lines up and drops through the slot.
Remember to grease the splines and seal area lightly.
Good job Normand

Last edited:
Back