Logo

No forward but yet i have reverse HMMM

jrod1540

Contributing Member
alright a week about i was out

alright a week about i was out on the lake as im travel down the lake my boat starts making this cluni noise every so often as though its skipping out of gear ... then finally right as i am about to put her up its like it just completely went out of gear... so i checked the esa and interruptor but was told if you unplug them and it then shifts then thats the problem did that not shift in forward. then i tried to remove the shift came and manually shift it ... now when i try to do this it will not go in to forward its like i only feel it grinding on another gear but can not get it to slip in to gear. Sorry ever since problem started i have always been able to go in reverse. So i feel as though i have ruled out eletrical but dont know if i should start ripping the lower unit apart looking for a gear with no teeth or what... Also What should i look at that would pertain to the mechanical shifting like clutch dog etc... and where is it located?

sorry compeletely spaced out o

sorry compeletely spaced out on that ... its a 1986 3.0 omc assuming its just the standard cobra pretty positive

Sounds like your lower shift c

Sounds like your lower shift cable was failing and now the clutch dogs in the lower unit have been destroyed byt the clunking in and out under load.

I have read the hasting articl

I have read the hasting article a little difficult to get all the way through but i re read it yesterday. also i full adjusted the shift cable i dont think it was ever fully engaging in gear but also having said that i cant even get it into gear by manually pulling on the cable... i can however get it in to gear sometimes if i turn off the engine and go wot but it doesnt last which makes me want to agree more with Hy Stat on this problem.. how should i go about checking the dog clutch... i assume this means ripping apart the lower unit and if i am right any special techniques or tricky points that i might want to look for while tearing it down

"I had the same exact same iss

"I had the same exact same issue with my King Cobra Outdrive. There is an upgrade to the gears to increase the gear contact angle to 15 degrees. When I had my problem I had the upgraded gear set installed, forward gear was stripped. Gear shifts are much smoother and the unit has been bullet proof ever since. I am a fan of the Cobra Outdrives mine is fitted to a very high performance 460 ford, I believe they have had a bad wrap over the years."

hey bill if you dont mind me a

hey bill if you dont mind me asking how much will a set of gears run me im in the process of getting a puller to start tackling the lower unit ... im almost certain that the forward gear is gone

"I honestly don't remember

"I honestly don't remember the cost of the gears because I had mine rebuild by a local marine repair shop. The overall cost was less than $1,000 and they winterized the boat and did some additional work too.
OMC parts are still readily available on the internet, make sure you get the 5deg gears (sorry I miss quoted 15deg on the last response)they come with a sticker that should be applied to the spark arrester cover on the carb to let people know it has been upgraded since this was an issue with the Cobra drive. I tried to take a picture of the sticker but it was too grainy to upload, sorry.
Good luck, if taken care of properly the cobra drive is a great drive unit. They were heavily influenced by Volvo in the final 2-3 years."

"Jerod,
I followed the links

"Jerod,
I followed the links on the right of the screen here, gears and the clutch dog will run just under $500.00. You may be able to buy cheaper if you look around on the internet.
Good luck. Hope this helps."

question i have or actually tw

question i have or actually two .. okay if i find out that its just the forward gear that burnt up which is what im assuming since reverse works perfect and say the cluth dog is fine can i just buy the forward gear and replace it or is it one of those parts where its better to replace it as a set.. also keep in mind im a poor college student on a very tight budget. ha.. second question.. can some one please give me the part numbers for the gears cause i cant seem to locate them in on this website

also i am having the hardest t

also i am having the hardest time getting off the two snap rings in side the lower unit so i can access the gears i have looked every where for a tool long enough to fit in there any suggestions on where to get the speciality tool or if there is another method i can do to remove them

"I would wait and see what you

"I would wait and see what you find in there, for the snap rings find a really really long set of needle nose and grind down the tips."

"thanks bob im going to try th

"thanks bob im going to try that today other than that im sure it is the gears being the amatuer that ia m to the out drive (aka good with motors not so good with outdrives) i for so,e reason finally drained the outdrive oil today and found ton of metal shavings on the bolt so im certain it has to be the forward gear. now can i just replace the forward gear or do i have to do the whole gear set and keep in mind my reverse works perfect"

"yes you can just replace the

"yes you can just replace the forward gear, but i think you will find the dog went and not the gear."

well id really hope that to be

well id really hope that to be the case because the dog clutch is fairly cheap compared to the gears

alright i think im at my witts

alright i think im at my witts end with this one i cannot get the two snap rings off i can get them to where i the just need to be pulled out but i dont have any grip on them with the pliers

"they are actually called tura

"they are actually called turaq pliers = snap ring pliers, and i had made a pair myself out of the largest needle nose i could find. snap on makes a pair.

get a c clamp and use that on the handles. but i would shoot the whole mess with pb blaster first maybe they are rusted up real good."

im using a pair of pilers it w

im using a pair of pilers it works great like i can see the snap ring bending in like i can get it compressed all the way i just cannot get it to pull out the pilers just slip off

alright update finally after a

alright update finally after all this hard time with the retaing clamps i got them out basically in the process of getting to the gears but from what i see inside with a flash light some teeth are chipped up pretty bad Next question is now the manual calls for a spline wrench and what not to remove the two drive shafts i obviously dont have one so who do i go about this so i can get to the last two gears

Back