Logo

no fire

loosenut

Had boat out last week. was running fine then spit and sputtered, like it was out of fuel. Still had half a tank though. wouldn't refire. inline fuel filter had some small black items in it. Replaced all fuel lines, and bulb, took carb off and cleaned, still no fire. pulled plugs and had wife watch plugs while pull starting - no spark. Also have had previous problems with starter. Would engage, make a revolution, then stop and pausefor a second and then go ahead and start. had a new end cap and brushes put in starter, same thing happened. have blown the 20 amp fuse several times. usually pull starts easy.:confused:

Were the plugs grounded to the block when you were looking for spark? They won't fire if they are just "hangin' there".

If they were grounded and you had no spark at any cylinder the likely culprit is the stator.

Combined with the multiple blown fuses I would suspect that -

1 - you probably have a bad stator
2 - you may have a bad regulator or rectifier that may have toasted first and then took out the stator, OR

3 - you have some wiring issues that is grounding out your ignition and causing excessive current draw from the battery.

So, at this point I suggest you have 2 options.

Either take it into a shop and let them have a look or invest 35 bucks in a Seloc's manual and start troubleshooting yourself (which is 100 bucks less an hour than the shop will charge)...

No the plugs where not grounded to the block. Will try that again, this time the correct way. The fuse does not blow on every start, does that rule out anything?

Anytime a fuse blows for a reason other than "old age or defective fuse" that does indicate a possible short somewhere or an connected component (such as the starter) that has issues.

But first things first - ground the plugs - or better yet, install them and test with a timing light.

Then we can take it from there...

And for follow-on questions - what year/horsepower are we talking about??

Sorry, 1995 25 hp mercury w/ steering. Thank you so much for your help. I picked up a seloc manual. will let you know what is found. Gary.

Back