Logo

No fire to plugs ???

Skip R

New the forum here; Thanks for taking a look at my problem. I have a 1996 175 HP Johnson FastStrike that for some reason did not have any fire when I got it out of storage this spring. Used one time last summer and seemed to start and run ok; but that was last year. It set in storage for two years before that. About 4 and 5 years ago I did have problems for some reason:confused: with it not starting right off once in a while but then after a couple of tries it did start, which always seem to me to be a bad connection or something but never could find it if it was. It is now in the boat shop and the mach said he tested the power pack and it showed bad but then put it back together and it started :confused::confused::confused:. Do power packs act this way? If it is the power pack are the after market ones ok?, and the ones I seen are Serra and CDI brands. Thanks Skip R

Just ordered a Sierra Power Pack upgrade > kit #113-6367K 1 < to fix the problem ( according to the salesman) and got looking at the instructions and not for sure but does this require retiming the engine? I hope not. Looking at the back of the engine which cylinger is the #1 cylinder, fireing order.

Well it my come to this> If I follow the instructions and disconnect and unplug everything like they say, remover everything I need to marking where it was before I take it apart, remove all the parts I am going to replace in order, replace the old parts with the new parts, connect and plug in everything as I found it what are the odds of it running as intended? RE: Power Pack upgrade kit. Or should I put it all together as much as I need to and take it to the boat shop and have them start it. I sure hate to spend another $80 to $100 bucks on it as I already spent $85 for them to tell me that it starts now and they don't know really what's wrong with it.

Just ordered a Sierra Power Pack upgrade > kit #113-6367K 1 < to fix the problem ( according to the salesman) and got looking at the instructions and not for sure but does this require retiming the engine? I hope not. Looking at the back of the engine which cylinger is the #1 cylinder, fireing order.

Well: Put in the new Power Pack kit today and works GOOD. Lined up the TDC mark with the #1 piston out to the plug and went to work. Every thing went rear smooth, main thing just take you time. Hooked it up to the hose and started up first time. Runs a little rough but not back presser when using a hose. One thing is that there doesn't seem to be as much black exaust gunk comeing out of the prop as I remember compaired to last year. I assume must be ok as the warning light all went out and never came back on. Maybe the the old power pack never was right. Think I well still have a mach check the timing first chance I get.

Back