Logo

No cotter pin to secure prop cone to shaft

jaschrumpf

Contributing Member
Every time I look at something for the first time on this 1964 AQ100 I find something at which to marvel. This time I was looking at the prop with a mind to remove it and look at the shear pin. The first thing I see when looking at the cone one unscrews to remove the is that there is no place for a cotter pin. There's a hole through the tip of the cone, perpendicular to the axis of the shaft, just where one would expect to see a cotter pin hole -- only the hole does not go through the shaft, and it's way too big for a cotter pin; about 1/4" - 5/16" in diameter.

Then I notice that the rim of the cone is not smooth, but is crenellated, like the top of a rook in chess, or a battlement on a tower. I further observed that there is a metal ring on the propeller side, like a fender washer, that is also crenellated, and in the opposite pattern, so that the "teeth" of one side fits into the gaps of the other side. As the cone is screwed down onto the shaft it makes contact with the "teeth" of the ring, which click into place in the gaps until the cone is firmly screwed dpwn.

Sadly I did not get a picture today, but I will take and post one tomorrow. Right now I'm just curious to hear if anyone else has ever run across such a system for securing the prop onto the shaft, a ratchet/pawl-like combination in place of a cotter pin.

Wrong cone... you have one ( and the washer) from an 250 or 270. those drives have a splined shaft which engages the teeth on the inner hole of the "washer" while the teeth on the rim engage the prop.

A few pictures would be very helpful.

Most of the 100 lower gear units used a "spinner" to secure the propeller to the propeller shaft.
If the spinner offers a perpendicular hole towards the AFT end, that hole is used for a tool for when tightening and loosening it.

Again..... pictures of your lower unit would be helpful.

AQ100 stern drive .jpg

With the splines on the prop shaft, and a tabbed washer, you install the prop, washer and spin on the cone, using the large transverse hole in the cone for a large screwdriver as a lever to use to tighten the cone... then bend several tabs ( by design not all will be able to bend into the cone) into the crenelations in the cone. your cone looks a bit the worse for wear. Make sure your zincs are clean and installed properly. No cotter pin. Some of the earliest AQ100s used a cotter pin in the cone, but they had a shear pin to drive the prop and a smooth , not splined shaft. There should be a line cutter before the prop. Grease prop shaft annually.

Last edited:
Back