Logo

No cooling water getting to engine.

toadshade

1967 40Hp Seahorse. Thinking pressure would be better, I attached dog ears to my engine water intake and removed the thermostat. No water is coming up and pouring out of the thermostat port when I left the cover off. I thought maybe it needed the pump to get water up there so I turned on the engine for 20 seconds and still nothing. Is there something else I am missing or can it actually be clogged?

I jetted water down the thermostat port and some muddy water popped out the bottom of the lower unit. So I wasn't crazy. Must have been a mud dauber. I am flushing it right now so I think it is ready to go as soon as I feel it is clean enough. Wish I could recirculate some cleaning solution.

And where is the main water intake for your cooling system ?-----I suggest you test run in a bucket with water at least 6 or 8" ABOVE the pump.

I am using one of the dog ear hose attachments. I did have it in a barrel well up the bottom of the engine head. But I turned to the dog ears so I could look around.

That motor was designed to run on a boat, on the lake, not in a bucket with a dog. Furthermore, the thermostat is part of the design. Put it back together and launch the boat.

It is working great and out on the water! (with my dog by the way). Thermostat is in place and engine is cooling just fine. I haven't run it any longer than getting the engine to fully warmed up though since there are basically no safety devices in place yet. I am also working on an old trolling motor to have with me since I don't trust this engine yet.

Back