Logo

nissan 40hp problems

jrvhunter

hey everybody,
i have a 1998 nissan 40hp i have been working on, i got the motor with no controls so i purchased some and installed. i have two problems.
problem 1: my tilt and trim was working when i wired it up for a bout 5 mins. then a few mins later i tried it again and it was going up, but sounded like it was dying. i checked the battery and the battery was fine. it eventeually stopped working untill when i hit the switch up or down i could here the cellanoids clicking but nothing from the motor. i then tapped on the tilt trim motor and it started working for a min then did the same thing.. could it be my tilt trim motor?

problem 2: when i turn the key on my controls and put it in gear forward or reverse a constant beep comes on even with the motor not running. but it doesent do it when in the nuetral position. not sure what it is. its aggrevating.

1. We need your actual model/serial to be of much help.
2. You have a bad pump motor.
3. You need to d/l a copy of your owner's manual (and read the thing -- RTFM) to understand what the alarm means.

hey man thanks for the reply i know its a 1998 Nissan NS40D2. i looked all over the motor itself and cant find the serial number anywhere. i checked the block the housing, everywhere. so you think that my tilt trim motor is bad? should the alarm on the controls be going off even with the motor itself not even running? also i took the control box apart and there is a little black box that is wired to the buzzer and its got a little orange tab sticking out of it. when it is in the neutral position the tab is pressed in and it dose not beep. but when i shift it into forward or reverse the tab comes out and goes to beeping.
also ran into one more problem. i recently changed the impeller and when putting the bolts back on to the cavitation plate all of them went back in fine except for one the threads on the motor side stripped out. so 5 bolts are in there tight but the number 6 bolt. should i drill and tap a new bolt or is there an easier fix?

The Serial tag has probably been (accidentally) removed or painted over. Serial number is likely on a soft plug on the block as well.

You need the Factory service manual, Part# 003-21036-1 $45.00 (available from any dealer, including me), and that will explain the operation and diagnosis of the tilt motor. If tapping on the side of the TT motor temporarily got it going, the brushes are likely worn/stuck. Depending on serial number, you need a 3E5771800M TT motor, $419.17... or if the old 3-bolt style, you need 3C8S771800, $557.48.

You have discovered the neutral safety switch in the RC box. It seems to operating properly. You are probably getting an overheat indication, or a low oil alarm. If the motor is cool and oil tank is full, you either have a wiring problem (diagram is in the Factory service manual and also in the owner's manual), or a bad temp (or oil) sensor. The owner's manual can be downloaded from http://www.nissanmarine.com/tech_talk/owners_manuals.html

Never do just an impeller change; do the complete wp kit. Slightly more cost, same labor, lasts 2x as long, pumps better.You will want to do a heli-coil repair to the stripped-out threads of the bad bolt hole.

Back