Logo

Newbie question, did I kill my water pump?

mccohens

I read a few pages into the forum, but still would appreciate the wisdom before tearing into the motor. Bought and old TJ25ELCEB, 89 motor that the PO verified ran well. I should have done more research before starting it and may have killed the water pump. Had the prop in a trash can filled with water, just over the anode mount level. I got lazy and did not wire in the overheating alarm, stupid and lazy choice. Ran it for 50-10 minutes, idle and rev up a few times, no issue but the motor seemed hot. A temp gage on the head showed 280, which I learned is too hot now that I have a manual. My only other outboard was a merc which had the little "pisser" hose to indicate water flow. I did not know this johnson had one too, thought the burbling in the tank meant all was OK.
So now that I know the water level has to be 6-8 inches above the impeller, I will fill the trash can and try again. But did I most likely kill the impeller? What brand should I buy? Thanks and feel free to insult my stupidity should have stuck with sailboats!

Well the head looked pretty good but I lapped it flat and put back together with a new head gasket. My compression gage turned out to be dead so not sure if there was a problem. The old gage still showed low but a new one showed 125. So time for a new water pump and hoping all is good.

Some outboard engines don’t like muffs. Barrel will work just make sure your newly installed water pump is totally submerged plus 2-3” above the water pump. Constantly add cold water to the barrel while running.

Back