Logo

Newbie question about exhaust tubes

bayliner_az

"Hi all,
I'm new here an

"Hi all,
I'm new here and new to boating as well. I just bought a 1986 Bayliner with a 225E (5.0) Volvo Penta and 275 Outdrive.

At the lake last week the boat got really loud at idle (exhaust sound) so when I got it out of the water I looked it over and found that one of the tubes at the bottom of the outdrive had split wide open. The one on the other side is still fine. It comes out from the engine area and then curves at a 90 degree elbow and has a pinched/tapered end.

The problem is I don't know what they are called to buy a new one or how easy they are to replace.

Here is a pic of the good one. I tried to mark it with a red arrow.

Any input about what they are called and where is a good place to order them would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Andrew
191770.jpg
Tube

"Those tubes are called "r

"Those tubes are called "rubber hooks", part 29 on the link:

http://www.volvopentastore.com/CONNECTING_COMPONENTS_AQ_DRIVE_275/dm/cart_id.497 973580--category_id.332185--list_time.1214514532--session_id.136987841--store_id .366--view_id.315590

The bad news is, they are not easy to replace. You would have to remove exhaust the Y-pipe, for which on most instances you have to pull the engine out of the boat.

The main purpose of the two rubber hooks in your AQ225 is to act as a bypass for relieving exhaust back pressure when the engine is idling. Keeping that in mind, you may want to consider mending the split pipe somehow (for example, glueing the split with crazy glue, or taping it together with electrical tape, or glueing a piece of a new rubber hook to the old one, etc)."

Thanks for the help. Will it

Thanks for the help. Will it cause any issues if I run it for a while without the rubber hook? It actually split so badly that it opened clear up and was just dangling so it's not repairable.

"The only problem I foresee is

"The only problem I foresee is that water might come into the exhaust when going into reverse, and also that the outer part of the exhaust and drive bellows could be exposed to the exhaust coming from the split rubber hook. I think you should try to find a way to divert the exhaust towards the port side of the transom shield, as origially rigged."

"The other thing I would check

"The other thing I would check as a rule out...
Check the exhaust bellows...thats the largish accordian bellows that is to the right of the "rubber hook". These often split, usually (but not always) in the valley, on the bottom."

Back