Logo

Newbie non-boat guy needs help with AQ145B

canlandlubber

Hi everyone,

New to boats and am in need of advice. My father in law has me trying to get his boat going and what I have found so far:

1. It turns over and will not start (is getting fuel)
2. I found there is no spark
3. There is power to the coil...went to investigate the points and condenser and...
4. Checked disty and found that there was no rotation of rotor when we cranked the engine...hmmmmm?

This is where I was getting confused. I thought that perhaps the pin on the bevel gear had sheared at the bottom of the distributor shaft. However, not understanding the mechanics of the extra sprocket on the engine assembly and it's purpose. The timing belt comes off the crank, and I see water and circulation pump and up to cam sprocket, but on PORT side there is a belt sprocket near the location of the distributor..."intermediate shaft" what does this do??? Also, the timing belt does not turn when the engine cranks over...this does not make any sense to me.

I apologize for being a landlubber, but all I know and understand are Suzuki Samurai's.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

The intermediate sprocket moves your distributor and your oil pump, so I suggest it plays quite an important role. :)

If the timing belt does not turn, it is either incorrectly installed, or the teeth in way of the crankshaft sprocket are broken. If you are going to replace the timing belt, make sure the timing gears (sprockets) are not pitted/corroded, or they will "eat" your brand new timing belt in no time!!!

Thanks you guys I really appreciate the quick replies. The boat had been running well with no issues other than some warm operating temps and leaky water cap (leaky head gasket maybe?) since he bought it. No work had been done to the timing belt and associated sprockets. I can see the belt looks a little tired but other than that it doesn't appear chewed or that any of the sprockets and belt have jumped. If all the sprockets are connected should they not all turn? I would think if something was stuck, seized or inhibited, wouldn't the belt jump or at least appear as though it wants to turn with the crank pulley? The timing belt just sits static.

I should also add that when we take the plugs out and crank slowly by hand there are no noises, interference or anything that seems amiss.

Thanks again

then again...if there is broken drive in the timing belt system then probably why belt sits there so peacefully :)

will see what we can do next...will keep you all posted.

I be darned if I end up getting into boats and boat maintenance hobby by accident! Cheers

Try to visualize this. If the belt teeth around the crankshaft sprocket are broken (this could have happened due to a number of reasons), the crankshaft will turn but the belt will not move, so the intermediate shaft (which also drives the raw water pump) and the camshaft will not turn. If that is your case, then either the belt has broken teeth or the belt tensioner is not doing its job.

Yes, I totally get it now, many THANKS. I never thought to check tensioner too. I will break the news to father in law. Really appreciate your help.

Back