Logo

Newbie: Last trip out smeled smoke, oil pressure dropped, engine overheated

swc65

Regular Contributor
Hi all
My first post so a little back ground. Novice boater, I bougt a used 1992 Galaxie with 5.7L Chevy 350 rebuilt crate motor and King Cobra Stern Drive. Just replaced beat up prop and toolk out for spin. Ran greAT FOR 30 then started smelling smoke. Stoped immeadiately and noticed oil pressure at 20 psi when normall idels at 60 psi, Temp was over 210 hotter than normal. I turned off enfgine immeadiately. Sat for a few minutes and tried to restart. Motor barely turned. I let it sit longer and tried again. Engine slow turned over but till had low oil pressure and hot so I killed it. Oil level show below ADD on stick initially but as it cooled it came up a bit.

Didnt want to run it and risk damage so got a tow and manually trailered. Got it home on muffs and started up, the oil pressure returned to ~60 but temp still seemed high. I did not check oil level again. It was late and I had ~2 hours drive so that is all the trouble shooting I did. Boat is on lake ~2 hrs away and I'll go back tonight for more troubleshooting tomorrow.

I'm trying to be optimistic that no engine damage is done. Hope oil pump is good but low pressure scares me. High temp is makeing me think thermostat and or water impeller in lower unit.

Hoping to find some wisdom here.

Back