Logo

New Wellcraft Sunhatch owner! Got some questions!

I just bought a 83 Wellcraft 196 Sunhatch with the Merc 898 305 Chevy in it. I need a new lower unit and gimble ring as the steering square is worn out. One of my questions is, how would be the cheap an easiest way to convert my exhuast to thru hull? I've seen two types of risers, the one that points down and the one that points back. I don't have the boat in my possession yet so I'm wondering if anyone knows which riser's the 898 comes with? Also, if I can find a newer style center outlet manifold set will that work with my 898? I'm very excited to get working on this boat as my last boat was a 88 Bayliner Crapi with a 2.3 OMC which was nothing but a headache! If anyone else has any suggestions about what to do with the Wellcraft feel free to chime in!

Do your research on thru hull exhaust, too many opinions here I would think. It is not as easy as it may appear.

A lot of factors go into it, not simply the exhaust elbows. I have seen it done by boat owners and it has ruined engines from back flush. Others no issues.

Go to wellcraft website and see if they have old info with specs on thru hull.

JMHO

I just bought a 83 Wellcraft 196 Sunhatch with the Merc 898 305 Chevy in it. I need a new lower unit and gimble ring as the steering square is worn out. One of my questions is, how would be the cheap an easiest way to convert my exhuast to thru hull? I've seen two types of risers, the one that points down and the one that points back. I don't have the boat in my possession yet so I'm wondering if anyone knows which riser's the 898 comes with? Also, if I can find a newer style center outlet manifold set will that work with my 898? I'm very excited to get working on this boat as my last boat was a 88 Bayliner Crapi with a 2.3 OMC which was nothing but a headache! If anyone else has any suggestions about what to do with the Wellcraft feel free to chime in!

since this is a 305 cu engine your not gonna gain any power with this work...as mentioned this has caused engines to be damaged..back wash........

If you just want the boat to make lots of exhuast noise then go for it !

Exactly why I want thru hull! If a boat has a v8 its gotta have thru hull! Im going to look at my buddies Scarab I and base my thru hull set up off of that thing since its got a 350 merc in it.

I agree the small blocks sound wimpy and its more problems than its worth with the thru hull exhaust. get yourself a big block.

One of my questions is, how would be the cheap an easiest way to convert my exhuast to thru hull?

Ayuh,... You have to convert to center-riser manifolds, 'n risers,...angled...

A straight shot, straight out the transom, with tips, 'n flappers is the cheapest...

Whether it'll clear the rest of the hardware is what ya gotta figure out...

I agree the small blocks sound wimpy and its more problems than its worth with the thru hull exhaust. get yourself a big block.
Getting myself a big block is alot easier said than done. This is a boat that I'm not going to "sink" alot of money into. I just wanna make it a little bit sportier and loud. My buddis 325 horse 350 sounds just as mean as any big block out there. Figured I would get some hate on here. Im just tryin to get some advice, not get someone to tell me to just go get a big block.

Getting myself a big block is alot easier said than done. This is a boat that I'm not going to "sink" alot of money into. I just wanna make it a little bit sportier and loud. My buddis 325 horse 350 sounds just as mean as any big block out there. Figured I would get some hate on here. Im just tryin to get some advice, not get someone to tell me to just go get a big block.

I knew you just wanted to make some noise ! 305 engine is a weak boat engine , but in your type of boat has good power to move it.

Yea, I figured 200 horse will get me in the 45 mph range. Which is a hell of alot better than my old 2.3 OMC Bayliner that went maybe 36. hahah That boat was a such a POS, I'll post pics up on here when I get the boat on the new trailer an everything.

Here's some pics of her, I got her winterized an ready for the deep cold. I couldn't sleep this week thinking about my block cracking. She fired right up when she got to my shop today. I'm real happy with her.
DSCN5300.jpg

DSCN5299.jpg

DSCN5298.jpg

DSCN5297.jpg

Thanks guys, I actually got a single axle trailer with the boat, the guy I bought the boat an trailer off of wanted the tandem for his 21' Glasstream Regatta Classic, which ironically bought from my buddy last summer haha small world.

Back