Logo

New to the fourm! 72 Evinrude starflite timing base issues

Gtron72

Hey everyone new to the forum! Just like everyone else i joined because i am having issues with my motor.

So here is what I have going on. I have a 1972 Evinrude Starflite 100hp (100293R) that the timing base is sticking when the engine warms up. I dont think it's a overheating issue because the engine doesn't get that hot and I just replaced the water pump a few months ago. It starts and runs great but after an hour of driving it will die because the base will stick and allow the timing to adjust. Soon as it cools down its up and running again.

I dont know if there are cooling passages in that area but it does seem warmer then the rest of the motor. the cooling jackets around the cylinders are still almost cool enough to touch but the flywheel and area around the timing base are hotter but not extremely hot like its overheated.

any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks

Flywheels are also part of the charging system and they do get hot from that.-------------Are you saying that the timer base will not rotate easily when warmed up ?----------------Removed throttle cable to see if it still sticks ?

I verified is the base itself. basically if you have seen the underside of the base it has a plastic ring that separates the base from the engine block itself somehow it gets extremely hard to move when warmed up. unless my charging assembly is not working correctly and getting extremely hot... I just replaced the rectifier with a CDI regulated rectifier but the motor has not run in 15 years before i did all the repair work to it. They pulled and stored it for the very reason i have it now.

(Sticking Timer Base)
(J. Reeves)

With the engine NOT RUNNING but in forward gear (spin the prop when putting into gear), have someone advance the throttle slowly while you observe the timer base. It should slide smoothly from the idle position allt he way to the full advance spark position.... up against that rubber bumper (full advance stop screw).

If it sticks, it is usually due to one of the four "L" clamps being slightly too tight. You may be able to pry the offending clamp upwards slightly with a long thin blade screwdriver.

At the most, you would need to remove the flywheel, stator, and timer base, then clean everything thoroughly. Use grease on the brass bushing portion of the timer base and the related top portion of the powerhead's upper main bearing assembly, BUT use only OIL on the timer base nylon bearing retainer.

Upon assembly, check all of the "L" clamps for being overtight and install a very thin spacer washer under any offending clamp that cause the timer base to stick.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Thanks for the help Joe! turns out the distributor cap is cracked and was hanging up on the plastic. Now that its running the reverse solenoid or wiring is bad because when i shift in to reverse it blows the fuse. Not sure why it stated doing it now I replaced the water pump a few months ago and it could be possible that I pinched a wire (that would be the easier fix at least)

Blowing a fuse when you put the engine in reverse would indicate that the wire supplying voltage to either shift solenoid (or both) is shorting out somewhere.

so your saying the plastic ring shoud be moving aso

No, but it should be just so ever slightly free so that it isn't being yanked down and binding. If a clamp is really yanking down on that nylon ring, it is by the same token applying downward pressure on the timing base.

The nylon ring is simply a bearing... whether it moves or not is of no consequence.

Naw man im cool,,haven't even started yet just changed over from sensor to points,just having a little sticking problem,just wondering if theres a certain way the retainer ring went on the base,??????? ijust thoughtyou and the other dude were finished talking for now,,sorry

Thanks Joe oiled er up put small washers under the L brackets,,,just like new no sticking at all...you are the man JOEREEVES THANKS MAN

Back