Logo

New to b78 318 need advice

stevelazar

"Hey all, new here. 1978 318 i

"Hey all, new here. 1978 318 in Luhrs 25 open. Have some questions and could use some advice please. What's the deal with 15-40 diesel oil or not? Preferred plugs?
Firing order or where can I find?
Have a 14 x 10 prop, did the WOT thing and seems correct...thoughts? Thanx for any/all help. Later, Steve"

"..."What's the deal w

"..."What's the deal with 15-40 diesel oil or not?"

It has ZDDP additive in it that saves your camshaft lobes from rounding out. Modern oils have less and less due to (you guessed it) emissions reasons. Modern engines have overhead cams and don't need ZDDP.

..."Preferred plugs?"

Autolites, NGKs, take you pick.

..."Firing order or where can I find?"

198436572 (or 12756348 for reverse rotators).

..."Have a 14 x 10 prop, did the WOT thing and seems correct."

So what's the problem!

Jeff"

Like Jeff said about the oil b

Like Jeff said about the oil but it has to do more with the universal use of roller cams that don't have the same metal to metal contact you would have with a flat tappet cam so ZDDP isn't needed...as much. You can also look for 'older' grades of oil that are pre-'SM' and DON'T have the 'starburst' symbol on the bottle but buying diesel is easier.

Chrysler's PREFER Champions but from what most people seem to think of them Chrysler's are the only ones...Champion RN14YC is most common. Exotic (exspensive) spark plugs are over rated when used in these older motors....IMHO. You want that big fat electrode burning of all that raw gas your carbs are dumping down there not that fine wire crap....LOL

"Jeff... I was just reading th

"Jeff... I was just reading through your response to Steve and was reading through the firing order...
1-9-8-4...?
"

"Hey, thanx much for all your

"Hey, thanx much for all your help. I was always a GM guy but the 318's do have quite a reputation. Thanx again, Steve"

"The firing order on Chrysler

"The firing order on Chrysler small blocks is the same as a CHevy V-8. Handy, eh!

Jeff"

"Ok kids, I'm a little con

"Ok kids, I'm a little confused. I have a clockwise rotating distributor, looking from back to front of motor, my wiring pattern is 1 closet to #1 cylinder(about 11:30) then 2,7,5,6,3,4,8. Which is in correct sequence but appears backwards. Again my dist rotates clockwise. Need to confirm with my prop guy but recall standard prop. Am I missing something or just really really clueless? Thanx"

Back