Logo

New timing belt and no spark

harlygold

First let me say hi and thank you for your interest in my project.
I purchased a boat with the 1965 mercury 500 50 hp a week ago. As I would find out later in the day the timing belt was snapped. I found 2 of them and just got them today. I installed them and made sure all timing marks lined up. Now this sweet little motor had a set of plugs in it that had never been fired so I was feeling lucky. I keyed it up and cranked away and nothing, So I pulled the number one plug and found that she is getting no spark. I hit the power leads on the circuit boards and found that I was getting 11.5 on one lead and 3 on the second lead with the ignition in the on position.And it looks like I have power in all other areas. So I am now left here scratching my head. Does any one have any ideas for what direction I should now go with it? Thank you

Attachments

• 00z0z_cOCciTRsFWF_1200x900.jpg
    00z0z_cOCciTRsFWF_1200x900.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 17
The motor uses a magneto to make the spark.----That item does not need 12 volts to make the spark.----First step is to remove the BOTTOM half of the magneto assembly.----Remove the distributor cal to clean the breaker points.---Set them at 0.010".-----Test for spark before installing the unit onto the motor.-----No timing adjustment to worry about when doing this procedure !!

Back