Logo

New Suzuki 9.9 Struggles When Throttling Up

joeportenjr

Hello,

Joe Porten here from Speedway, Indiana USA. Thank you in advance for anyone who is interested in my Suzuki outboard issue and has some thoughts to help me with an action plan. Below are the details....Thanks again.

Boat – Lund SSV16
Motor – 2022 Suzuki DF9 9BTHL5
Prop – Diameter 10, Pitch 5, Blades 4

I’ve had this new set up out twice now for break-in and have experienced the same issue each time. Motor starts fine, idles and runs at low throttle speeds fine (or so it appears). Right as it get to the ½ throttle point and going faster, the motor feels really bogged down and it never feels like it is able to get to full speed (for this setup). I can hear and feel it pulsate back and forth between a little faster and a little slower (see video below). It gets worse with more throttle. When I’m near full throttle, it will occasionally throw a caution light briefly with an immediate reduction in RPMs and then bounces back up. Other points below:

In both trips, I ensured the gas tank vent was wide open. That said, I never tried to squeeze the pump a couple times while this issue was happening to see if this is a
fuel pick-up problem. Can try that next time.

Tried various trim positions but little noticeable difference.

I was able to install a tach / hour tracker. When reaching upper end of the throttle range, I’m in the 5200 to 5600 RPM range.

I connected a diagnostics reader to the motor and pulled all the telemetry. No service codes or caution alerts were logged.

I do understand this this motor is a bit underpowered for the boat. I have a 9.9 restriction on a near-by lake I frequent. That said, I’ve spent a lot of time in other boats with 9.9 motors and have no doubt what I am experiencing is a problem.

I did take a couple short videos – Links blow:

At speed with engine struggling:
Suzuki Outboard Struggling - YouTube

Showing dept of shaft / prop
Suzuki Prop Depth - YouTube

Here are a couple pics showing motor shaft / boat configuration:
IMG_4670.jpgIMG_4671.jpg

Back