Logo

New SD60 long version + 75 mm installation.

Pekman

I have bought an SD 60 L to replace the SD 50 on my Hanse 470.
The Marina lifted in the propeller shaft despite my protests. So my best option was to replace the unit and correct the design fault with the propeller shaft to close to the hull with the 75 hp version.

I’m very surprised that it’s made with a very big diameter plastic extension in the top. All outboards with long or short rig has an extension in aluminium in the shape of the saildrive or leg.

So many questions come to mind now. I have loosened the cover for the flywheel, taken out the cone clutch and the driveshaft unit to make it lighter.
But when measuring the leg in aluminium it’s the same as I’m my SD 50? So if i understand it all correctly i need to make a regtangular hole into a much bigger round hole.
I have taken off the 8 M10 bolts from underneath. 2 smaller bolts remain. Will put penetrating oil on them and try tomorrow.

But how big should the hole in my be? A rough measurement in the shop was 200 mm in diameter for the extension part. Should I dismount the new SD 60 to be able to fit it in the boat?
What kind of seal is it. Will anything come off or is it just A few O rings to be careful with.

It was sold as a bolt on kit. And its everything but a bolt on kit.
Cant find anything about a diameter hole in the boat. And Even of i have to break off some glued interior I Will do it. To get it through from above. Can anyone help me out with information. I must ger the old saildrive out first. But its a big job to move the engine when there is ni space to work.
Should i make a bigger hole? Maybe 250mm and try to get the entire saildrive in from above?
Bottom is 50 mm thick so I want to do it once and correct.
If I split the new saildrive in half. It would be like a change of membranes. That’s how I see it.

Any information at all would be helpful now. Is it inevitable to move the entire engine forward. I put a stack of 10 pieces underneath so it doesn’t fall down.

Someone must have done this before. Maybe even on a Hanse 470e.

Please help me out.
[email protected]
Very great full for any experience about this../ Peter

Back