Logo

New prop already

davesboat

"Only 6 hours on my engine and

"Only 6 hours on my engine and I need a new prop, we hit a submerged log or something, my current prop is a 14.8 x 17 LH, on a VP 4.3gl, sx leg.
What are the advantages/disadvantages of buying a stainless prop apart from cost? 14.8 seems kind of a weird size to me, can i fit a 15 x 17?
Who makes the best props?
thanks
dave"

SS vs Alum & Piranha

Pr

SS vs Alum & Piranha

Pros
SS = More Performance
Alum = Less Lower Unit Damage when hitting Submerged Objects
Alum = Less $$ than SS
Piranha = Mid Performance between SS and Alum
Piranha = Easily replace blades on the water
Piranha = If you buy 4 bld and damage 2 blades can remove 2 bad blades and evenly space good 2 blades to get you home.

Cons
SS = More Lower Unit Damage when hitting Submerged Objects
SS = More $$ 2X-5X more
Alum Less Performance than SS

"Yea.. should be able to fit a

"Yea.. should be able to fit a 15x17 .2 tenths of an inch.. there are prop selectors out there (on the internet) to help you choose a prop that will fit your drive, you might need to know the year and model of it, like SX leg you mentioned.

BTW a 17p prop will raise your RPMS by 400 so you really should know your WOT and make sure you're in the range where you want to be."

"BTW a 17p prop will raise you

"BTW a 17p prop will raise your RPMS by 400 so you really should know your WOT and make sure you're in the range where you want to be. Hi Brian
the engine and drive is brand new, bit confused,
i have a damaged 14.8 x 17.
if i fit a new 15 x 17 my revs will increase by 400rpm?
i'm still running this engine in, as per the manual, opened the engine up for the first time today to max revs for 30-40 seconds, maxed out at about 4400 revs,"

"Sorry, was thinking 14.8 or 1

"Sorry, was thinking 14.8 or 14x19.. no.. noticable change in RPM except if the design of the blades change, rake, cup, shape of the blades, etc..

I'm not sure what the RPM WOT Range is for your engine, if the top is 4800 and your at 4400 and you want to get on plane quicker then drop to a 15p if you like the performance now, then stay."

Back