Logo

New motor

M

mike Keeley

I just had a 9.9bigfoot put o

I just had a 9.9bigfoot put on the back of my larger boat. Had it done with control in the boat.when starting I have to play with the choke till I can use the fast Idle. I make sure the fuel bulb it firm but it starta very hard. when I take it off fast Idle it stalls. When going in gear it runs fine but then going to neutral it stalls.If I keep pushing the choke it will run. The bulb seems to go soft. They hooked my fuel line for the motor into my main fuel line in the seperator so I could use either tank.sounds like the motor is starving for gas???

"Mike..... That sounds like th

"Mike..... That sounds like the mechanical idle is set too low, and possibly the slow speed needle valve needs adjusting (if that carb has an adjustable S/Speed needle valve (you didn't mention the year.... new could mean new to you but not brand new). The s/speed needle valve adjustment is as follows:

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway

Joe
"

" Joe: thank you for your time

" Joe: thank you for your time.I was going nuts, the motor is a 2002 bigfoot. The dealer pulled the carb and there is no real adjusting to it. I was lucky it was running so poor for the dealer to see what I was talking about, I only had 10 minutes on the motor. They cleaned it but saw nothing and put the carb back. It runs like a clock now, its still a mistery but its running. Like I said thanks for taking the time to answer. "

Back