Logo

New ignition coil issues !

camplejeune

Hello all,
I am in search of good dependable coils for my 1973 6-hp Fisherman. Are they all made in China now? I just tried a pair that had real good reviews. They are going back, gotta' love Amazon refunding me.

This engine never had a tune up, my father was the first owner. Going in to check the points I noticed the coil wires were stiff and appeared to start cracking. Hence my venture to replace them and the points/condensers. The new coils fired it up just fine, idle it would not do very well. At idle the engine would run rough, while trying to adjust the slow speed needle the engine stalled and stopped. It would not restart. The spark was weak. Off with the flywheel, point gaps were fine. Checked condensers also fine. Even checked the coil windings also good, 1.7 ohms on the primaries and 8,700 ohms on the secondaries. The OEM coils have .6 ohms on the primaries. I went and installed the original coils. Engine fired up and idled just fine. Ran it for about 30 minutes, high speed no problem and it idles fine and in gear.

Will you guys provide some guidance on what brand has given good service from your own experiences.

Thank you,

Factory coils are always quality.------Dealer would not argue if factory ones turned out bad.----Maybe the Amazon coils were made in India with recycled wires / metal from those ship breaking yards.--Perhaps recycled ladies underwear that was used for coating the wires.-------Also saw the video of them stamping out motorcycle sprockets with scrap plate from cruise ships.-----Did not show any heat treating or case hardening.

Last edited:
Back