Logo

New here and need advice

jwatson355

Been working on my 4.3 volvo. Replaced fuel pump and carb. Still does not right and was looking into the ignition. I would like to make it a bit less complicated by switching to an HEI. Am I going to run into problems?

I have not but it makes sense that it's not working. I am not good with point style stuff. It's been since high school. It's a 1994 so I really don't know if it's points or not. The rotor will pull right off and it looks solid under it with 2 screws.

What is the actual problem? Please do not purchase anymore parts until we help you figure out what the problem is.

I appreciate that! The boat will start with just one pump of the throttle, then it just dies. It does this for a while until it warms up. Not too big of a deal so far. It will run smooth for maybe 10-15 seconds, then start running very rough and then smooth back out. When it's revved up with no load you can just tell it isn't revving right, lack of power and when it was on the water (for about 5 minutes) it took forever to plane out and wouldn't rev over 3800-4000rpms. Very weak. I just finished a compression test. 130-150 in all cylinders. The fuel filter/water separator, all the fuel lines, fuel pump and carb are new. Spark plugs and wires are new as well.

Before you purchase a distributor you may not need, Get a vacuum gauge, install a tee fitting in the fuel line between the tank and the filter. Run the engine and see if you are pulling an excessive vacuum on the fuel line.

Problem sounds like fuel.

Before you purchase a distributor you may not need, Get a vacuum gauge, install a tee fitting in the fuel line between the tank and the filter. Run the engine and see if you are pulling an excessive vacuum on the fuel line.

Problem sounds like fuel.

What would be the cause of that?? Interesting. Would never have guessed. 2 summers ago when the boat actually ran ok, it had plenty of power to plane up, pulled skiers etc but would shut off or idle so rough, I'd shut it off. That's why this year I replaced all that stuff. And it still runs like ass! Go figure.

Some boat manufactures will have a screen in the dip tube in the fuel tank. Some have a plastic dip tube that will develop crazing, and will let air in. When you install the vacuum gauge, put in a short piece of clear hose so you can look for air.

If you are pulling excessive vacuum you will need to check the anti siphon valve and the fuel tank vent.

What is your 1994 engine model number?
Your ignition system may be Volvo Penta's EST (electronic spark timing).

What is the actual problem? Please do not purchase anymore parts until we help you figure out what the problem is.
I agree with Chris on this.
We can throw all kinds of parts at it......, and it will eventually solve the problem.

Use the tried and proven P of E... (process of elimination), one item, and one item ONLY at a time.
When we do this, we'll actually learn more about the behavior of certain parts when they have failed. This allows us to better trouble-shoot in the future.

Otherwise..... the problem is eventually corrected, but we're none the wiser at to what the actual issue was.

Well, I did an experiment yesterday. I have a engine on a stand in my garage I've had for 10 years sitting. Has 2 holley 450's that have been customized for the engine. I bought a 2 to 4 barrel plate and bolted on the old holley. I also unscrewed the gas cap. I was running then dying just like before but after letting it sit for a few hours, I went out again and it starts and idles now just fine. I ended up screwing the gas cap back on while it was running and nothing changed. Wish it wasn't so damn cold, I'd take it out and try it. It was revving up with authority. Like it was back to life!

Back