Logo

New here and already have a question...

uscgcolletti

I bought my 1st boat about 2 weeks ago. I got it for a great deal and I knew it had some lower unit issues and the trim /tilt was gone. (motor runs fine)
I do/had plans on fixing it but I came across another person selling his motor/trim/and lower unit. The motor doesn't work well but I was thinking of taking his lower unit and trim and putting it on my working motor.

The part model and serial numbers are as follows.

My motor:
Model: 65ESL-73R
Serial: J3844741

new motor:
Model: 70EL78C
Serial: J490071

If ayone can assist me with this it is greatly appriciated.

The lower unit on the 73 model shifts to FORWARD with a DOWN motion of the shift rod.-----------The 78 model shifts to FORWARD with an UP motion of the shift rod.-----" Trim " may not be compateble at all----And no this has nothing to do with the control box itself.------------Your best bet would be to transplant your 73 powerhead onto the 78 model .--------Switch the shifting linkages of the 78 block to the 73 block.

when you say power head, you mean the motor itself? the all started because my lower unit has a broken bolt hole and a missing trim unit. Hence buying a different motor hoping to use the lower unit on my 73.
thanks for the input. Much appriciated

when you say power head, you mean the motor itself?

Yes, the powerhead is the engine block and head. Basically you would take the entire cylinder block off the midsection of both engines and swap them. (You can leave the flywheel, carburetors etc on there, just unbolting the block from the midsections.) This is a relatively easy project, but not for the mechanically in-experienced. Also doesn't hurt to have an extra set of hands and an engine hoist. If you are going to do this I would budget an entire weekend for the project.

Just to clarify I have no idea if it would transplant or not, I'm just going off of what racer said.

Hey, sorry for the late reply... I didn't have internet access last night. Anyay I think I'll buy that other motor and have one of my MK type buddies help me with the project.
Thanks for the assistance

Back