Logo

New distributor what have I done wrong

roto

"Hi All. Engine is an LM318.

"Hi All. Engine is an LM318. Purchased a new :

YLM Series Magnetic Breakerless Electronic Distributors
CHRYSLER V8/LH 273, 318 (67 and up), 340 and 360 “LA” Engines YL579AV MI 9-26305

and installed it today following the distributors manufacturers instructions to the letter. This involved removing the old ECU, cutting old ECU wires and installing a new ballast resistor and the distributor with the rotor in the same postion. The distributors ID label is facing forward. There were no instructions as to the orientation of the distributor body, only that the rotor should face the same direction as the old rotor.

All went well, but when we went to start the engine for the first time it would hardly turn over. When we removed the coil's Hi Voltage wire to the distributor cap the engine turned freely when the starter button was pushed. So something is wrong.

I can only think that somehow we muddled the spark plug lead transfer on the distributor cap. Please see photo showing the new distributor with my finger on spark plug 1 as it now is. Have I got spark plug #1 correct? (I now have a self doubt)

We tripple checked all other wiring. Coil is wired correctly. All connections are good.

I've put the instructions I followed on a PDF file at the following link...

www.fullergroup.com/318.pdf

We are stumped.

Regards,

Scott.

334205.jpg
334206.jpg
"

"Looks like the wiring is wron

"Looks like the wiring is wrong 1 remove the #1 spark plug, crank engine by hand or have someone help you. When the piston is at top dead ctr (compression stroke) the rotor will be pointing at the # 1wire location."

"I have a mallory MBI distribu

"I have a mallory MBI distributor and the distributor rotor is 90 degrees off from the dist. drive.
When this dist is installed correctly the #1 is at 3 o"clock.
Remove distributor.
You need to set the engine up at TDC compression stroke of the # 1 cylinder Fly wheel/ vibation damper timing marks should align.The oil pump/ dist. drive gear slot should point to 11 o'clock or #1 cyl.
Install dist and see where rotor is pointing- that is your new #1 ignition wire, install wires clock wise in firing order 18436572.
Joe"

"Scott,
I have a pair of 1977

"Scott,
I have a pair of 1977 360's for which I just installed the same mallory distributors. Remove the number 1 plug and the distributor high tension line and put your finger over the plug hole and rotate the engine slowly until you feel the burst of compression. Now remove the distributor cap and the rotor should point to the number 1 cylinder. Replace the #1 plug and hold the wire 1/4" or so from the chassis using a phillips screwdriver to keep from getting zapped. Put the distributor cap back on being sure you have the plug wires correct on the cap. With the ignition (not the starter) on, gently rock the entire distributor a few degrees in each direction until you get spark on #1 wire. That should get you close enough to start the engine. Then use a timing light to make final a timing adjustments.
Good luck,
Ed"

If u buy those mallory breaker

If u buy those mallory breakerless dist. what did you do to the reverse rotator to make it work?Think my old prestolites are causing rough idle(the rotor wont spring back down cause mass timing problems)my springs seem to be shot even with the old Fastjeff rotor excersise probably original from 1980.Who wants these prestolites.lm318s fwc

On 318's and 360's the

On 318's and 360's the distributors always turn the same direction regardless of engine rotation. On the reverse rotation engine there should be a collar that holds the distributor drive gear in place so it does not try to "fly" out. The installation is very simple and painless (except for their cost).

..."Who wants these presto

..."Who wants these prestolites?"

I'll take one--and happily pay for the shipping costs.

Jeff

"Scott, I'm coming in very

"Scott, I'm coming in very late on this one, but have a suggestion for you should there be a next time doing this!
My suggestion would be; <font color=""0000ff"">Bring your engine around to # 1 TDC on C/S <u>before removing the old ignition distributor.</u></font>
<font color=""0000ff"">Actually, it would be better yet if you were to bring the # 1 to within 4* or 5* <font size=""+1"">"BTDC"</font> on C/S.</font>
(it must be on Compression Stroke)

This will make installing the new distributor and initial # 1 spark timing for "start-up" much easier.

**Now install distributor w/ rotor aiming @ # 1 cylinder.
**Connect ignition power wiring.
**Place a spark plug wire directly into the coil.
**Place a spark plug into this spark plug wire boot.
**Lay spark plug on an electrically grounded surface away from any fuel source.
**Excite ignition (key on).
**Rotate distributor housing oposite of rotor direction until you get a spark. (w/ a YLM reluctor triggering unit, you must do this rather quickly)
**Check rotor alignment (is it aiming towards # 1 cylinder?)

I too like to see a rotor aiming towards the # 1 cylinder......, but is not critical if you index all plug wires accordingly!

**Replace cap
**Install plug wires.
**Fire engine and set timing.

Because you brought # 1 around to 4* or 5* BTDC, (not TDC) this method will usually get you close enough for an easy fire-off of the engine!
Chevey, Ford, Chrysler, any of them!

I have been using this method for well over 40 years..... It has never failed me!

Scott, I've followed your other thread re; timing and finding TDC and the Positive Piston stop, etc etc..........., and I left some comments there.

."

Back