Logo

New boater needs help

"Hello everyone,

I just pu

"Hello everyone,

I just purchased a 1983 Imperial V 192. It has a 6 cylinder Mercruiser with an Alpha 1 Outdrive.

While out on the river yesterday I noticed the boat seemed sluggish, and the rear was sitting low. I removed the engine cover and found water deep enough that the drive belts were spinning water everywhere. I discovered that the bilge pump was not working either.

Where should I start looking for the source of this leak? Also, I want to say that the drain plug was in. Could there be any damage to the engine because of this? I don't know anything about boats. Is this just a normal amount of water entering the boat after 5 hours on the river, and a new bilge pump is the solution?

I'm not sure if I should ask about another problem in the same post. I apologize in advance if I'm not following protocol.

The tachometer, oil pressure, and trim gauges are not functioning. Is this problem solved by replacing the gauges the majority of the time?

Thanks, Skip"

"Hi Skip....first of all you p

"Hi Skip....first of all you posted this in the Mercury Outboard section so it really should go in the Mercruiser section, helps to ensure the right people get to see it.

Personally I think NO water in the bilge is normal after 5 hrs of use but what you will have to determine is whether the water is leaking into the boat or is it coming from the engine? Does the boat take on any water just sitting there without the engine running?

Definitely want to replace that bilge pump, does it have an auto float switch with it?

Your gauges could have a wiring issue with that many not working, normally the purple wire from the ignition switch provides power to the gauges, you may want to get a multimeter or at least 12v test light and check them for power (with key turned on)"

"don't neglect grouds when

"don't neglect grouds when checking guages. starter was probably submerged. in fresh water, should be ok. check oil for water before running again. engine leaks will usually be warm. also common is torn u- joint bellows. check it."

"It's very possible the wa

"It's very possible the water is from rainwater collecting in your bilge. Mine gets rainwater in there frequently.For your gauges , pull out the instrument panel cluster and check all connections behind the panel going to the gauges.All three of mine were not working and turns out every connection behind the panel was corroded and not makeing contact. Cleaned contacts and all is well now."

check the boat where it hits t

check the boat where it hits the roller when putting it on trailer...this is often overlooked by a new boater when buying a used boat

Back