Logo

Never saw a 36" driveshaft on a 25HP motor. Anyone know what this is? Pix Included.

bobbyg

Weird! Trying to identify this 36" driveshaft from a 1980's 25HP Johnson. I only have a lower section making identification difficult. The section had two 5" extensions (see pics). Possibly custom made for a sailboat? 36" driveshafts are common on larger outboards but this was on a 25 and it's shape is conventional ... just longer. Any ideas?

4.jpg1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8208.JPG
    IMG_8208.JPG
    465.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8209.JPG
    IMG_8209.JPG
    452.9 KB · Views: 24
Really rare, cool. I never saw one. All it would take is a little specialty work on a stainless rod. Just think of the torque pushing on that center section.....(exhaust housing). I'm envious.....now THAT'S a "long Johnson". Think you got us all beat, Bobby.

Last edited:
Really rare, cool. I never saw one. All it would take is a little specialty work on a stainless rod. Just think of the torque pushing on that center section.....(exhaust housing). I'm envious.....now THAT'S a "long Johnson". Think you got us all beat, Bobby.

The driveshaft itself may measure 36" but isnot it simply an extralong shft version for a transom height of 25".

The water level with be an inch or so above the notch for the impeller drive key and the transom top will be an a couple of inches lower than the top end leaving something pretty close to 25 " between the two

Back