Logo

Need timing spec for E115tlcrd

kmart

Hi all,

I have an 84 115 v4 (e115tlcrd) that I'm trying to set the full timing advance...

I bought a manual online (Clymer I think, its not oem) that just says 'refer to engine decal'.

Problem is I cannot find a decal with the timing spec anywhere on the motor.

I'm not the original owner, it was rebuilt at some point, and the airbox silencer extensions were removed from each side. Not sure if that's where the decal is supposed to be because I can't find it anywhere else. Maybe it was removed?

I've been searching for a while to find the spec but come up empty.

Any chance there's someone here who can tell me the proper timing spec for this engine?

Thanks.

I recall 28 degrees.-----But timing generally needs no adjustment for life of the motor.-----What is your motor doing / not doing ?

What is your motor doing / not doing ?

Not so much what it is or isn't doing, i messed up the idle timing after rebuilding the carbs and after having getting that set properly, thought i had to do the full advance timing as well.

I bought this boat last season with no water test. First time i took it out, only problem was that it would stall when put in gear. That and it seemed like it was just shy of top RPM. Otherwise it ran well through the rpm range. Brought it home, rebuilt the carbs with a couple OE kits, the bottom carb was the only one with a bit of crud in it, otherwise they were relatively clean... Next time out it still stalled when put in gear but was hitting 5400 or 5600 rpm on top end.

But after about 30 mins, i was travelling WOT and the boat just dropped RPM like I had lost a cylinder. Came home, checked compression which was ok, then did a drop test pulling a plug wire at a time. Seemed that if i pulled any plug other than bottom port cylinder the engine would die. looked and both bottom cylinders plugs were wet and not warm after idling on the muffs.

Pulled the carbs again, and lower carb had a tiny piece of dirt sitting in one of the high speed jets. Cleaned, re-installed, engine ran, and a drop test and spark plugs indicated all cylinders were firing.

At that point i figured that i should do a link & sync since maybe that was the cause of stalling at idle. The manual i have is general and covers a lot of years, I'm not sure if it's out of order but it says to adjust the the throttle cam & roller pick-up point before setting the idle timing.

After getting the scribe on the cam aligned with the follower, the engine ran like garbage and was missing like crazy (rpm would fluctuate).

I disconnected the throttle linkage, loosened the cam roller on the carb and played with the throttle arm position until i could get the engine running and idle timing set to 4 deg BTDC. Then aligned the cam roller with the scribe line and we're back to idling properly.

With all this having been done, do you think i need to also look at the full advance timing?

Back