Logo

Need specific info on 25hp motor

h2ofwlr

From the serial number in the charts its a 1982 and 25e.

But it has the F-N-R in the handle which I thought came out later than 1982. So wondering if Mercury made the shift in the throttle handle that early? If not, then someone put a different engine block in it at some point. So when DID the shift in the tiller handle on the 25HP come out?

There is no way to find other serial or model numbers as they were removed. (a stolen motor where they removed the decals and model/serial numbers and repainted it, that I bought at a sheriffs auction).

So a further question is it a Mercury or a Mariner? The reason I ask is that it appears originally to be gray in color and 99% of it was repainted black like a Mercury. (where it is gray is on the front of main shaft near where the shallow water flipper is). I know that dealers can access a certain data base where the info appears, like date of manufacturer, if it had Yamaha parts in it, and all the specifics come into play. serial # is 6092957 which in on the quarter sized tag on the engine block.
Thank you in advance.
Alan

The tiller shift came out with the first 25 cid motor in the 1980/81 Mercury built motors. The shallowater drive came out later I believe but I could be wrong. Does the block have a thermostat or not. Most Mariners in those yrs were yamaha built and had side shifts.

Last edited:
The serial number shows the engine to be an 1982 "MERCURY" 25-HP (EL) Model Number 1025522.. MERC 25-HP parts catalog part number 90-90648.
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury_marine_parts/sn/06092957

Model
VersionEL
Assemblies:
•CARBURETOR ASSEMBLY
•CLAMP BRACKET ASSEMBLY
•COWLS
•CRANKSHAFT, PISTONS AND FLYWHEEL
•CYLINDER BLOCK AND COVER
•DRIVESHAFT HOUSING ASSEMBLY
•ELECTRIC COMPONENTS(ELECTRIC)
•ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS(BELGIUM ENGINES)
•FUEL FILTER ASSEMBLY
•GEAR HOUSING(DRIVESHAFT)
•GEAR HOUSING(PROPELLER SHAFT)
•IGNITION COMPONENTS
•MISCELLANEOUS PARTS/ACCESSORIES
•STARTER ASSEMBLY, MANUAL
•STEERING HANDLE ASSEMBLY(MANUAL)
•SWIVEL BRACKET ASSEMBLY
•THROTTLE AND SHIFT LINKAGE(ELECTRIC)
•THROTTLE AND SHIFT LINKAGE(MANUAL)

Thank you to both of you for the info.

As I recall, Yamaha made a a lot of the components for the smaller (under 60hp) Mercs back in the 1980s, can anyone confirm of this engine was in in fact Yamaha built based on the serial number? As I recall the Yamaha engines had an excellent reputation for durability in the 1980s and perhaps into the early 1990s before the arrangement between the 2 companies soured. Anyone know when Yamaha quit making the majority of the parts?

Lastly, does any one know the price range of what its worth on the open private party open market in the upper Midwest of an in good working order 1982 Merc Electric start 25hp short shaft?

No yours is a Mercury built motor not Yamaha. No Yamaha built motor ever came with a tiller shifter. Value is what somebody will pay you for it.

Back