Hagerl8m

1985 50hp
Carbs have been cleaned
New fuel pump
New coils
New Power pack
Compression 125 both cylinders

Motor starts and runs fine
Gets on plane and runs but then loses power and dies. Get it back to shore. Fires up runs fine. Put it back in the water does the same thing.

Looking to where to go from here.

Water pump replaced about every 5 years ?----Test run with another tank and hose.
No clue on previous maintenance. Did do a temperature test on test wheel and was within spec.

Yes it’s being run with a know fuel tank and hose from another boat, that I know works.

Did find out that the motor was running last year and all of a sudden it stopped and wouldn’t restart. Owner stated it was like the battery was dead, then 15 minutes later it started and ran fine….

Time to look at the water pump.----Why were these new parts installed ?---Guessing , nieghbors adice or they tested bad ?

I don’t have a a way to test the power pack and from previous motors and the description of what was happening I changed it. After that I just tried new coils.

Why do you suggest checking the water pump? When I tested temperature it was within range. 125-163F. The engine was running 145-150F.

When you buy a used motor / boat.-, it is suggested by many folks to install a new impeller.----Just a good rule.----Time to do some more inspection on your motor I think.

Back