Logo

Need some direction 45HP "Classic Fifty"

Rossy

I have an 87 model Mercury 45HP 2 stroke "Classic Fifty" 45ELO serial 0B112924 with the following issue

Before I take it on the water, I can start it on ear muffs, idles great, warms up, goes into forward and reverse gear, revs up, pull back into neutral and will sit and idle with no issues.

Put it in the water and again at the ramp it will start, idle, fine. Goes into gear and runs without any problems but as soon as I pull off power and try to go into neutral it dies and is very difficult to get started again.

If anyone has run into a similar issue and can point me in a direction to get started I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

And it is on a 15FT Checkmate MX15

They all run " great " on muffs.-----Post your compression values here.----New water pump impeller every 5 years?-----Carburetors clean ?----Running with oil injection or mixing at 50:1 in your tank.-----Tried opening low speed mixture screws 1/8th turn at a time to see if stalling goes away ?----Did this issue develop slowly or was it like that last season?

They all run " great " on muffs.-----Post your compression values here.----New water pump impeller every 5 years?-----Carburetors clean ?----Running with oil injection or mixing at 50:1 in your tank.-----Tried opening low speed mixture screws 1/8th turn at a time to see if stalling goes away ?----Did this issue develop slowly or was it like that last season?

Last winter I had a local mechanic replace the water pump and rebuild the carbs. I don't have the compression numbers on hand but I can do another test this evening and post them.

The oil injection was deleted by the previous owner so I am mixing 50:1 in the tank, I have not tried the low mixture screws but could give that a shot this weekend and see what happens.

I just got it on the water last summer and chased this issue all season, my dad and I brought this little Checkmate back from the dead and we bought this motor separately

OPen low speed mixture screws 1/8th turn at a time.----That would be step #1 if i could get my hands on that motor.

Back