Logo

need some advice.......

biddy

hey guys,

i'm new here and i need some advice please. my cousin has a 1992 evinrude 150hp, e150elecn. the prop was bent when he bought it off his brother in law, he got that replaced but when he took it out to test the prop he found the shaft was bent as well. my question is how hard is it to replace the prop shaft? is this something he can do or would it be better to have a shop do it?

thanks for any advice, biddy

Depending on how hard it hit bottom there may well be impact damage to pinion and forward gear.----In short it may mean failure in the near future.-----Start phoning some shops to see if they can help you decide.----A used unit that has been inspected / resealed might be a good option.

Depends on his experience, but not likely enough skills to pull off a dismantle, inspection, bring shaft to machinist for straightening, repair skeg, reassembly, repaint....if needed, pressure/and vacuum test (optional), and finally install to motor with new impeller. If machinist can't straighten, a used shaft may be available. Try Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN, 218 682 2331, Theresa Calley Mike or Dan.

your location ?----Outboard motor repair is not that hard.----A manual might be a good investment at less than 1 hr of shop time.

Racer....my mother in law can't boil an egg right! Some folks are not tradesmen, and when they try, it just doesn't work. Seems simple to us, but some folks just have very different skills, eh? Me, I was never worth a damn at competitive sports, never liked school, hated jocks and most of my peers. Most teachers were worthless. Yet, made it through life repairing what couldn't be repaired and splitting wood. Stupid, eh? My social security barely buys cat food.

Last edited:
Do some research(YouTube) on removing the lower unit, if your cousin feels comfortable removing the lower unit then I’d suggest taking the lower unit off and bring it to a shop for repairs. He/she will save a bit on labour charges and not have to drag a boat to the repair shop. Removing a lower unit isn’t too difficult and doesn’t require any specialized tools. If this a salt water engine then corrosion might want to rethink my advice. Corrosion can complicate a relatively simple job.

Back