Logo

Need repowering advice please!

Chris1212

Hi guys, my 2001 Merc 4s Bigfoot on my pontoon boat is on it's way out (excess oil from crank vent and occasional water in oil) and I'm looking at re-powering options for my 20 foot pontoon boat.
I'm on a small private lake with not much waves or current, and I'm not looking to go fast. I was hoping to replace with a 25hp Merc in Bigfoot (or Command Thrust as they now call it) but it seems Merc doesn't make 25hp engines with the lower gears any longer. I was told by a couple different marine mechanics that to diagnose and rebuilt my 2001 would likely cost almost as much as a new engine, which is too bad because that engine works perfectly for my application.
I've been in contact with a couple marinas and one salesman is trying to sell me a 9.9hp prokicker with the CT gear case.
To me a 9.9hp on a 20foot pontoon, even on a small body of water would seem under powered. I'd be concerned about the "boys weekend" at the cottage when there are 7 to 9 guys on the pontoon boat.

Can anyone please advise if I should go with the regular 25 HP ELPT 4S Merc or prokicker 9.9 or will I notice a huge difference between the newer motor with 1.92 gear ratio versus the Big Foot ratio (I believe 2.33)?
For comparison the 9.9 prokicker ratio is 2.15.

I guess what I'm asking is what will move the pontoon boat better, the 9.9hp with 2.15 gear ratio or 25hp with 1.92?
Thanks for any advice!

My 9.9 does just fine on my 12’ aluminum, on a pontoon boat I would have to agree will you as being under powered. What is the maximum HP rating for the pontoon?

Back