Logo

Need merc lower unit help oil seals amp swapable units

jon

Regular Contributor
" Hi,

My 86 L6 115 merc

" Hi,

My 86 L6 115 merc recently managed to eject all the gear lube in the lower unit, leaving only a couple ounces of water inside, mixed with black dust. It took a couple flushes and some use to get the dust out, but now after a day of use on new lube, it comes out full, clean, and creamy from the water. I first noticed it because the prop was not spinning very freely in neutral; now, after adding lube and running it, the prop spins freely in neutral and even stays put when running it on a flush attachment.

I have a few questions about it, the first is whether a lower unit can take this type of abuse, and if fixing the seal is a sound way to correct the problem. The second is what other lower units can be swapped, will any L6 work, and how about the L4's and V6's ?

Lastly, I have removed the lower unit and stripped out the water pump down past the base. The leak is coming from around the driveshaft. The water pump is the type with three studs and a bolt. I can see a rubber seal inside of the water pump base, it doesn't look quite right; there is also a seal around the driveshaft, inside of a a large (2 inch) nylon looking bushing (could be a washer). I though this bushing was removeable, but it doesn't want to budge and the seal inside of it appears to be messed up as well. I'm wondering how I should go about removing this, and what may have caused these seals to fail. Thanks in advance for any/all advice,

Jon "

"Jon,

You have to replace t

"Jon,

You have to replace the entire water pump base. This comes as an assembly with the driveshaft seal. These can fail if the impeller burns up, or can wear with age. Depending on where you get the water pump kit from, the base may or may not be part of the kit.

Use Quicksilver high performance gear lube to fill the gearcase.

"

" Tony,

Thanks for the

" Tony,

Thanks for the help; I won't hold you to it, but in the past, with this type of failure, would you still consider the lower unit reliable? I'm wondering if simply replacing seals is enough after it got run dry for a period of time. Also, that plastic/nylon "washer".. does it just slide up? It seems to be stuck and my book and the diagrams don't give me a clue as to what may be holding it on below. Thanks again,

Jon "

Back