Logo

Need help

17arrowglassstinger

Contributing Member
my motor would die when i try

my motor would die when i try to get on a plane i thought if i cleaned my carbs really good and carefull that it would fix my problem and i put my boat in today to see if that was it and now it just dies when i put it in gear and i put everything back on right i followed the book on it and now the problem is worse please help im stummped

"fuel filters, inline / cannis

"fuel filters, inline / cannister? Bad Gas? Compression? Fuel Pump? All things to check. Do you have an underdeck tank, or do you carry one on? Next step, sink it about a mile outside Moriches Inlet.....BAM artificial reef for me."

thats funny but i got fresh ga

thats funny but i got fresh gas it sounds like it got good compression runs fine on the muffs it sounds good when its running can i check my fuel pump without buying one and seeing if that did it and i carry a plastic tank also what is the canister your talking about

"you won't have a canniste

"you won't have a cannister if you carry on a tank..is there a screw on top of the tank? Make sure it is open to let some air in. If it runs good on muffs, and not good in the water, it may have something to do with the cyllinders.....under a load it seems it doesn't have enough compression"

1974 johnson 70 hp i was by my

1974 johnson 70 hp i was by my self and it still did it im looking for a replacement motor but the spark plug wires and spark plugs wont have anything to do with my problem would it??

"It's never a bad Idea to

"It's never a bad Idea to change plugs and wires. What happens when you are in the water and crank the throttle in neutral? Does it still stall out or does it run fine. From what you have said, it appears it runs fine in neutral, but not in gear when under a load..which leads me to believe it doesn't have enough compression. This would mean a rebuild of cylinders / pistons. $$$$$"

yea its runs fine in the water

yea its runs fine in the water in neutral before i cleaned the carbs it would actually drive a little in gear at idle speed but now i cleaned the carbs and it just dies when i put it in gear but in neutral its fine so basically the motor is shot but isprayed some starter fluid not alot of it and igot it to go pretty good for about 10 minutes but then it acted up again but basically i should look for another motor cause i dont got alot of money for a rebuild

"At the front of the float cha

"At the front of the float chambers, you'll see a 7/16" slotted bolt. In back of those bolts, in the center portion of the float chamber is the brass fixed high speed jets.

If you didn''t manually clean those jets, do so with a piece of single strand steel wire.

Also, the linkage between the carburetor throttle butterflies must be set so that all of the throttle butterflies open and close at the same time. One slightly open and the others closed will cause weird things to happen.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

and that would cause my motor

and that would cause my motor to die when i try to power it up and get on a plane because it was really dirty in there but i didnt have anything to get in there to clean it

"take them apart and do it aga

"take them apart and do it again,find a piece of speaker wire and pull some strands out,it really does make a difference,spray cleaners just dont do all the work"

Hey Joe can you paste a link t

Hey Joe can you paste a link to that slotted bolt that leads to the float chamber please? Wanna check mine as well. Thanks

Joseph..... It would be in pla

Joseph..... It would be in plain view at the bottom front of the carburetor. Some have a screw instead. Many boaters look upon it as a drain screw.

"I am having the very same pro

"I am having the very same problem with my 75 HP johnson. on muffs it runs find,,when i take it to the lake every time i try to plane it cuts off. like you my son who sometimes work on small engines cleaned my carbs,,but my }}}problem only got worse. instead of posting this problem i will just keep check on your post and hope it will be a fix for me.}}}"

Back