Logo

Need help with Timing/carb adjustmment on a 1979 115 hp 6 cyl

CurtisUN

I have a 1979 115 hp 2 cycle inline 6 cylinder outboard. I need to know the proper procedure for ajusting the carburetors and the timing advance.
The engine runs but will only idle rough for a few seconds unless I turn the idle up and then it runs at two to three times above the idle rpm minimum.
I have tried adjusting the carbs and I believe the timing advance is wrong because the linkage from the throttle lever to the carb/timing advance has a lot of play from wear in the plastic bushings where the linkage attaches and itback fires while trying to start sometimes. I used a light spring to keep it from moving simular to what is used on governor linkage. but I will have to make a bushing due to parts are not available.
I have ordered a timing light because I know I will need one to adjust the timing.
1. I have Rcleaned the carburetors and adjusted to two turns out on the air fuel mixture as a starting point.
2. During rebuild of the hydra sports 16 ft. bass boat I removed and cleaned the fuel tank, put new batteries on, new sump/live well pumps and new flooring.
3. I have checked the compression which is 117 to 120 PSI on all cylinders.
4. It has NKG plugs and I cleaned those and checked the firing. They appear good.

Back