Logo

Need help with superseding part numbers for a carb.

Altimas13

Hey all,

I have a 1982 mercury outboard 18hp 2 stroke serial number 5955175. I need a replacement Carb & factory part #1384-8704A1. I know someone that has a brand new Carb part #1390-8676A13 which according to part numbers on this website the new carb superseded my original part number. However there are some small physical differences in the body of the new carb. I want to make sure before spending the money that the new carb will work and is the correct replacement part number. If anyone has any insight it will be greatly appreciated! This is the last thing I need to finish restoring my father in laws boat. Also the original does run and works it just has a crack around the fuel pump side of the housing and spits fuel.

Thank you!

There is not much that can go wrong with a carburetor !------What is your motor doing / not doing ?----What trouble shooting has been done ?----Why do you think you need a new carburetor ?

@racerone the carb operates just fine. The housing itself is cracked where the fuel pump mates up. Apparently my father in law dropped it at one point when rebuilding the carb and cracked so it never seals properly and always spits fuel.

@faztbullet thank you for the answer! I've personally never had to deal with an older outboard that parts were scarce so I've been a little skeptical when looking at the different part numbers.

Back