Logo

Need help with see if starter is the issue here

Sounds like the starter needs to be replaced. Problem with the boat, not the engine, Rain water drips right on the starter and rusts it up. Sounds like the bendix is hanging. Are your back spark plugs rusted too?

I have no idea as to the condition, just purchased the boat today. Starter does look old. I was told this was normal but call shenanigans on that. Is the starter supposed to bite and stay engaged even when the engine starts or kicks? Just need to know if its supposed to act like a "car" starter.

I am replacing the plugs in the AM, but they all look like they have a rust ring where the plug boot ends, on all 4. Spark is getting to the plugs.

Done and DONE!! Hopefully this helps others. TO THE PARTS STORE!!

For future ref on endeavors concerning this engine:

Ive has some experience with other mercruisers like the 4.3 LX where I could use some parts found on Chevy S-10 engines. Is that a no go on this engine, meaning no similar cars for parts since this is a GM / Ford combo hotrod engine?

Last edited:
Is that a no go on this engine, meaning no similar cars for parts since this is a GM / Ford combo hotrod engine?

Nope,.... It's Mercruiser's own red headed bastard step-child they've abandoned....

It's All Mercruiser, except the head, which is Ford....

The most common part number for Many of it's parts is NLA....

Sorry to hear, ya took the dive, before ya knew what the 470 is.....

Done and DONE!! Hopefully this helps others. TO THE PARTS STORE!!

For future ref on endeavors concerning this engine:

Ive has some experience with other mercruisers like the 4.3 LX where I could use some parts found on Chevy S-10 engines. Is that a no go on this engine, meaning no similar cars for parts since this is a GM / Ford combo hotrod engine?

FYI

Except for the block casting, head castings and the balancer, there are no parts you should be pulling from your local junk yard to use on your marine engine. Even the tins on an automotive engine will not last in a marine environment.

One more, maybe the manual transmission flywheel.

Last edited:
The 3.7L or 470 uses a unique starter motor.

When Chris mentioned Bendix Drive, at first I thought NO... no Bendix on this style starter motor.
But after hearing it in your video....., I'm thinking that it may be a Bendix drive starter motor.

Any Bendix style starter motor requires a fully charged and heavy capacity cranking battery, extra good cables, etc. It requires lots of very quick torque to kick a Bendix drive out and into the ring gear and to hold it there.
If the voltage is down, these Bendix drives may not want to stay engaged... or even engage in the first place.

Suggestion: If you replace this starter motor, steer clear of a Bendix drive motor. See if you can find a replacement in a HTGR/PMGR motor that uses solenoid lever action for the pinion gear.
Check with Richard at Seamanufacturing in Florida.
If anyone has this, or knows where to get one....., it will be Richard.

The 3.7L or 470 uses a unique starter motor.

There were two style starters used. Originally it was the same one wire type like used on older fords, Then in later years if I remeber correctly they went to an standard GM style........

I could be wrong.

He has to see what he has, remove it, have it rebiult. reinstall and hope for the best............

That is a ~30 year old set up

There will come a day when the imfamous 170,470, (and all the other model numbers) are gone for good!! WHen I have no idea but hopefully IN my lifetime.............lol

Here is a Non-HTGR solenoid lever action style 470 starter motor. (no Bendix drive)
a2079291349118f15d6d0e_s.JPG

Here is a Bendix drive starter motor.
arc50143.jpg

If you can even find a HTGR/PMGR starter motor, it will look similar to this.
CRURA122009.jpg

Back