Logo

Need help with Lower unit removal on Evinrude 69 6hp

capnlazy

Regular Contributor
This is a model 6902M. I have done this before but for the life of me I can't remember how I got the lower unit off. I have removed the 4 bolts and dropped the lower about an inch or more. I can see the shift rod but there is no coupling as others have suggested. The shift rod appears to be all one piece. How do I go about disconnecting the shift rod so I can get to the waterpump?

Yes, I've seen that diagram but when I drop the lower unit I can see the shift rod and there is no connection as it shows in that picture. The shift rod is all one piece from as far up as I can see up the exhaust housing all the way into the lower unit.

Maybe , just maybe someone installed a better ( older ) lower unit.-----------------Pull the powerhead to disconnect the rod.

Slowly rotate the flywheel to align the top driveshaft pin with the slot that exists under the powerhead. The lower unit will drop somewhat which will allow you to see the brass shift connector between the lower unit and the long exhaust housing.

Joe, I did that and the lower unit is now separated from the exhaust housing by about an inch or more but I still see no brass shift connector. Or should it drop more? We are talking about dropping it at the point where the water pump is, correct?

That brass shift connector is right there. Put the unit in reverse, turn the prop, whatever it takes to drop the lower unit a little more.

Joe, unless it comes out of the lower unit, it doesn't have one. I can see about 4 inches up into the exhaust housing and don't see anything. I try again tomorrow. Thanks.

Well, unless you've got a piecemeal engine there, perhaps an older 5.5 or 7.5, or even a 10hp, all of which have either the shift connection up under the powerhead or in back of a plate halfwy down the long exhaust housing, the brass shift connector would be on a 1969 6hp right in back of the water pump as pictured below. Are you sure about that model number?
6hp Shift Connector.jpg

I got the model number off of the round plug on the block. I'm not the original owner so it could very well be a hybrid (sounds better than "piecemeal"). The thing is I'm almost sure I did this once before and for the life of me I don't remember removing the powerhead and there is no plate on the exhaust housing. Oh well, I guess it's time to pull the powerhead. Thank you and all the others for your help. I'll let you know what I find.

Back