Logo

Need help wiring 1997 Yam 90 to tilt/trim gauge

Tanta

My 1997 Yamaha 90CTLV outboard tilt/trim sender has a 3 wires, the trim gauge is a Sierra Marine Eclipse Series 2'' Trim Indicator Replacement Gauge - Trim, Yamaha, O/B, pre-2001. Can someone assist in matching the wires to the gauge? thx.

Black wire with ring terminal to ground. Blue wire to Up on gauge green wire to down.

Thanks for the reply, it I am still confused. The three wires coming from the sender are black, orange and pink. The terminals on the gauge are marked G, I and S. So not much is matching.

Methinks the trim and tilt pump motor wiring is getting confused with the trim sender wiring.

The three wire Yamaha sender requires a 5 volt power supply. Normally it comes from a Yamaha tachometer. The orange wire provides the 5 volts. Black is ground. Pink is the sender signal.

Is the trim gauge you have designed for a Yamaha three wire sender? Seems so. What are the wire colours or markings on the post terminals?

Methinks the trim and tilt pump motor wiring is getting confused with the trim sender wiring.

The three wire Yamaha sender requires a 5 volt power supply. Normally it comes from a Yamaha tachometer. The orange wire provides the 5 volts. Black is ground. Pink is the sender signal.

Is the trim gauge you have designed for a Yamaha three wire sender? Seems so. What are the wire colours or markings on the post terminals?

The posts are marked G, I, S. Thx

Hmmmm. Got me wondering.

The Yamaha three wire sender is a potentiometer. It is designed to have a set voltage applied to it. The output voltage is interpreted by a Yamaha gauge to determine the engine trim angle.

I am wondering if the Sierra gauge for a pre 2001 Yamaha is designed to work solely on the resistance of the potentiometer. That would be my best guess. If so, connect the ground wire from the sender to the ground terminal (G) on the gauge. Connect the pink wire from the sender to the sender terminal (S) on the gauge. The I terminal will be connected to a key on power source. Normally the yellow wire from a key switch. The G terminal on the gauge will also need to be connected to the battery ground. The black wire from a Yamaha key switch.

See if the gauge works correctly. If the gauge now works but is backwards, let us know.

Hmmmm. Got me wondering.

The Yamaha three wire sender is a potentiometer. It is designed to have a set voltage applied to it. The output voltage is interpreted by a Yamaha gauge to determine the engine trim angle.

I am wondering if the Sierra gauge for a pre 2001 Yamaha is designed to work solely on the resistance of the potentiometer. That would be my best guess. If so, connect the ground wire from the sender to the ground terminal (G) on the gauge. Connect the pink wire from the sender to the sender terminal (S) on the gauge. The I terminal will be connected to a key on power source. Normally the yellow wire from a key switch. The G terminal on the gauge will also need to be connected to the battery ground. The black wire from a Yamaha key switch.

See if the gauge works correctly. If the gauge now works but is backwards, let us know.

That worked, gauge is now registering correctly. thanks for the help .. Tanta

On a similar note, same setup but my gauge only works on the lower portion of trim (3 or 4 inches of travel) and not the full trim.

On a similar note, same setup but my gauge only works on the lower portion of trim (3 or 4 inches of travel) and not the full trim.
Has this problem always been there or is it new?

Is the trim sender cam in good working order? They were originally plastic. Which would break. Has been replaced by a metal cam.

If the cam is working correctly, has the cam been set such that when the motor is in the full down position then the trim gauge should be indicating the full down position.

Assumption being that the Faria gauge is designed for use with a Yamaha three wire sender.

Has this problem always been there or is it new?

Is the trim sender cam in good working order? They were originally plastic. Which would break. Has been replaced by a metal cam.

If the cam is working correctly, has the cam been set such that when the motor is in the full down position then the trim gauge should be indicating the full down position.

Assumption being that the Faria gauge is designed for use with a Yamaha three wire sender.
The cam appears to be OK. I pulled the sender and the gauge will not start to register until the sender is rotated about 3/4 of the way and full rotation shows full down.

My additional question is how are there 3 wires off of the sender and only 1 sender post on the gauge. Has something been changed out?

The cam appears to be OK. I pulled the sender and the gauge will not start to register until the sender is rotated about 3/4 of the way and full rotation shows full down.

My additional question is how are there 3 wires off of the sender and only 1 sender post on the gauge. Has something been changed out?
My guess is that someone tried to use the wrong Faria trim gauge. The resistance of the sender (empty to full) is not compatible with the resistance that the Faria gauge is looking for.

Another thought is to change the trim sender from the three wire type to the two wire type.

But at Yam's prices it might be cheaper (and easier) to change the gauge.

Back