Logo

Need help replacing timing belt & aligning marks. 225

btravlin2

Regular Contributor
Howdy.....after Skooter posted his worn out, rusted idler pulley I decided to check mine. Little did I know that what I thought would be a simple job, ended up with me dropping everything after 4 hrs and walking away......before I had a meltdown. Very aggravating.

As soon as I loosened the tensioner I heard the click, and then another. I knew right then that the belt had jumped teeth. I figured no big deal. I'll just align the marks as the manual said and.....presto. It's turning out not to be so easy because the "driven" pulleys want to "jump" past the numbers, I assume because of the valve springs.

What's the trick? The manual doesn't provide helpful instructions that I can see.

Ha, I see what you mean...lemme try to refresh my mind. I know when I did mine, I adjusted valves after putting belt on. That me be what you need to do. Also make sure you pull off rubber cover on each pulley and inspect. Mine was hiding corrosion which lead to the death of my valves.

I got it. I solved the Rubik's Cube!! That's about what it felt like. I honestly don't know how to describe how I did it. For me, it was very convoluted, with a touch of luck. The difficulty has to do with the fact that the crankshaft pulley turns twice (I think) for every full turn of the valve train pulleys. I'm sure the pros know how to do this easily, but for me it was a puzzle.

I now know that before I inspect the pulleys on the 2nd motor, I have to figure out how to maintain tension on the belt. Once that SOB jumps, the job morphs into Frankenstein.

BTW, the idler and tensioner pulleys looked and felt good, with no corrosion.

Last edited:
Back