Logo

Need help replacing distributor on 350 crusader

mortztrucking

Wondering what all I need to know before this novice replaces the starboard side distributor on a 1984 350 crusader. I have been perusing this site and have learned more in 2 weeks than the last 4 years of boating! You guys have given this truck driver the guts to tackle my own repairs instead of writing checks. Next challenge will be listening to Fast Jeff and redoing the fuel filters!! Thanks

I'll describe the events of my own distributor relacement..ALL I CAN SAY IS: It worked for bothe engines. We had to remove the entire top of the engine, manifolds, pushrods, lifters...a relatively good sized job. I set the rotor at a point facing a recognizable direction ... in this case dead astern. I removed the distriputor cap, loosend the holddown and removed the bolt. When I had lifted it up, the gear cut causes the rotor to turn slightly but it also returns to that position upon insertion. My job took several days but I knew where my "index" was. If you are merely making a swap, just get it all ready to go with one out and the other in. With my timing light we started the engine and checked the timing, it was perfect.

Pretty straight forward.

Easiest way is to bump engine over until rotor points to #1 plug lead and balance mark aligns with 0 on the timing tab....a few degrees is close enough. Remove wires and hold down from distributor. while lifting up on distributor, the rotor will go "backwards" a bit as its gear disengages the cam's - this is 'the spot'. note how much it moves. Continue moving distributor up until it is clear.

Put new gasket on new distributor and gently slide into the hole. move rotor to point to 'the spot' and rotate CW, viewed from above, until it engages the cam. the oil pump drive may not be aligned which will prevent the distributor fromm sliding 'all the way' down. while holding the body of the distributor with downward pressure, bump engine over and it will slide all the way down.

Reconnect wires, install cap/rotor, and set timing. verify timing advance, go boating.

Thanks guys, is there any distributors you recommend over others? Mallory, Accel, does it make a difference? I had already switched to hot points, should I go to all electronic ignition? Thanks

hot points??? thought that was an appliance brand???

Big difference is that it is marine rated, not necessarily by who.

All electronic makes for less maintenance but limits tuning ability....a personal choice.

My 454's use the Delco E.S.T distributor and it has been 101% great. Easy to replace ignition module if ever required.

Thanks for all the info. I'm just learning all this and can't wait for the next project which are endless on my 1984 37' Silverton. She's an oldie but a goody. John

Back