Logo

Need help reinstalling Bearing Carrier on BF130

So I had a worn bearing carrier that would not take new seals due to its condition and major water intrusion. So I decided to rebuild both of my out drives this winter.

I was able to use a puller the remove the carrier with the shaft in the outdrive, so I am trying to reinstall the unit back onto the shaft. If this is not possible just let me know.

I ordered 2 new carriers, and both the main and needle bearings and seals. I was able to get them all reassembled and thought I was almost done with the job and am struggling to get the carrier back onto the shaft.

The 2 flat bearings that are 2 halls of a circle that install into the reversing gear are stopping the carrier from sliding onto the shaft. And have been trying to use the prop shaft nut to drive it onto the shaft with no luck.

looking for some help from people that have done this job before.

Troy

Last edited:
It sounds like you removed the carrier without removing the lower unit from the engine and the shift shaft and water pump from the lower unit.

The prop shaft and carrier would normally come out together, if that was done.

Assuming you put the bearing and reverse gear in the carrier all the way, the two half moon bearings are held in place by keeping pressure on them with the prop shaft as you put the whole assembly back in. You also have to be sure that you can rotate the prop shaft as you are drawing up the carrier, so the clutch dog does not interfere with the forward gear.

Mike

So I was able to get both of the outdrives fully assembled this weekend with out pulling the Prop shaft, just took a lot of Patience moving slow to get the Bering Carrier over the2 Flat 1/2 round bearing races and to get the gears to line up correctly. I am able to turn the drive shaft and shift properly into Forward, Reverse, and Neutral with no resistance and strange noises so I am hoping all is well in the gear alignments. I also pressure tested both units to 20 psi and they both held the pressure over night so I think I have a good seal job and no leaks. I guess in a couple of weeks when spring weather returns I will reinstall on engines and test on the hose to see if everything shifts properly and then head to a in the water test. thank you HondaDude for you post.

Back