Logo

Need Help on Flywheel Ring Gear replacement on a 1975 Chris Craft 350Q....

Johnscott

Found the Part # 16.11-08290....Does anybody know if you can replace just the Ring Gear on this Flywheel or do have to replace the complete Flywheel....Mine is still installed but I can see that a couple of teeth are missing and its slowly starting to chew up my Starter drive pinion gear..... If you can replace the Ring Gear how much work is it and do you need special tools????? Would be great to here your thoughts on this problem. Thanks
Johnscott

To the best of my knowledge, all SBC GM Flywheel ring gears are heat/shrink fit applied.
IOW, you remove the old..... heat and install the new.
There are two sizes....... 153 and 168 tooth.

Heat the new ring gear evenly...... key word being "evenly", and not too hot!
(the heat can be applied while the ring gear is laying on/against the flywheel.)
Now either press or carefully tap (brass tools) the new in place.
If need be, heat as you go!
As the gear cools, it should achieve the correct friction fit.

They can also be tac welded if you know this procedure..... very likely unnecessary!

Last edited:
Rick,Thanks for the info....When you say "not to Hot" could 600 F be OK....Could reach that in the kitchen Oven....And maybe lay the Flywheel into the Freezer for a day or two....Do you think that could work???
Johnscott

Rick,Thanks for the info....When you say "not to Hot" could 600 F be OK....Could reach that in the kitchen Oven....And maybe lay the Flywheel into the Freezer for a day or two....Do you think that could work???
Johnscott

Ayuh,... 500° for the ring gear in the oven,... Ambient temps for the flywheel, freezer is not needed...

When you take the ring gear from the oven, it'll drop onto the flywheel,... No Problem..

Back