Logo

Need help from Guy, and anyone else. Thanks!

Ski1234

Hey Guy and everyone.

First of all I do realize that I am posting on the wrong forum. I am looking to purchase a 1997 Wellcraft 23' Excel walkaround with a Johnson 200 Ocean Runner outboard. The motor has 650 hours. The trailer has been totally redone with new brakes, tires, bearings, brake lines, rollers, etc.. The total package boat and trailer are listed as being in mint condition. The bottom of the boat has never been painted. It has never been kept in the water.

The motor has supposedly been well maintained too. New pump etc.. I am in Maryland, and this boat is is in Delaware. Quite the distance to travel to view it. I have been trying to get up there for a viewing and test ride for a few weeks now. The weather has not worked out. Basically, the seller has said that he will not sell it until I get my shot at it. I do believe that to be true.

I have googled comparable boats, and they are going for far more than his 8k firm price. I do not believe in using NADA for a boat of this age.

There are 2 problems that he said the boat has. The gas gauge and the tach do not work. I have gotten frustrated with the weather hampering me possibly purchasing this boat. I was almost ready to be a fool, and purchase it without a test ride. Just run it on the muffs.

He knows from my correspondence my concerns, and will not allow it. He wants to take me out on a 2 or so hour test ride to reassure me.

I realize the engine compression test, etc. should be done. However, this has been a long running deal in progress and I do not want to push his buttons. Also, there are time constraints due to the distance, and dealing with my wife. I feel that I would still come out ahead if the engine blew up on my first trip out. I would pick up a used one that was tested for a few thousand.

Any thoughts or pointers? Any opinions on this make of boat and engine? Also, Guy I have once again lost all of my contact information. I hope you and your family are doing well.

Thanks,
Skip

Back